public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: ENB at the Royal Opera House
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 11:29 pm 

<B>Ballet dances in rival territory </B><BR>Maev Kennedy, arts and heritage correspondent<BR>Guardian<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The English National Ballet is about to pirouette into the lion's den, the home of its arch rival, the Royal Ballet at Covent Garden. <P>"We will of course be anxious to put our best foot forward," artistic director Matz Skoog said yesterday. <P>The distance between their London performing bases, at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden, and the Coliseum in St Martin's Lane, is only about half a mile geographically, but huge artistically. The English National Ballet has been seen as younger, sharper, more willing to take risks, and much cheaper; the Royal Ballet as grander, faithful to the classical tradition, and much wealthier. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4376920,00.html" TARGET=_blank><B>more...</B></A><P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: ENB at the Royal Opera House
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:07 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The English National Ballet has been seen as younger, sharper, more willing to take risks, and much cheaper; the Royal Ballet as grander, faithful to the classical tradition, and much wealthier.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hmmm....much as i have enjoyed ENB performances over the pst few years, I have to say that the above statement by Maev Kennedy surprised me, as the most avant-garde work that ENB currently perform is Balanchine's 'Apollo' from the 1920s. The days of 'Swansong' and other innovative works seen in the 1980s is long gone. However, the final comparison on money available is right and therein lies the problem for ENB's conventional programming. <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 5:56 am 

What a curious juxtaposition to have ENB in the exotic company slot. I am very pleased for ENB but I hope that those who normally frequent the Royal Opera House also frequent ENB's normal residence, the Coliseum and therefore will not be seeing ENB for the first time. I lament the fact that we are not introduced to a foreign company that we do not normally see in London. It will be interesting to see what happens with the ticket prices.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:01 am 

It's a good point about the prices Emma. My memory is that the top price for the 2 or 3 nights of the mixed Bill at the Coli was around £25 - half the price of the full-length works. <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited March 19, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:25 am 

Here's the announcement on the ENB website. no mention of the ticket prices.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.ballet.org.uk/news/roh.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ballet.org.uk/news/roh.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]