public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Royal Ballet's Booking Period 5
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 8:21 am 

I am with you on 'Scheherazade'Stuart. It is Kitsch but has got an appeal of 'sinful indulgence' a bit like double chocolate cake.<BR>You just have to have it every once in a while but only with the right cast please!<BR>This piece is totally unfogiving to miscasting. Put the wrong dancer in the lead roles and the whole thing just falls apart.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 5:01 am 

Changes to Period 5 casts.<P><B>ONEGIN</B><BR> <BR>Roles in the following order: <BR>Tatiana, Onegin <P><B>15, 18 July</B> <BR>Rojo, Cooper <P><B>16, 19 July</B> <BR>Tapper, <I>Coppen</I> <P><B>17, 20 July (e)</B> <BR>Cojocaru, Kobborg <P><B>20 July (m)</B> <BR>Galeazzi, <I>TBA</I> <P>*******************************<P><B>DON QUIXOTE</B><BR> <BR><B>22, 26 July</B> <BR>Rojo, Acosta <P><B>24, 27 July (m)</B> <BR>Cojocaru, Kobborg <P><B>25 July(m)</B> <BR><I>TBA</I> <P><B>25(e), 27 July (e)</B> <BR><I>Yoshida</I>, Cope <P>******************************<P><B>COPPELIA</B><P><B>29 July, 1 August(m)</B> <BR>Benjamin, Kobborg <P><B>30 July, 2 August</B> <BR>Yoshida, <I>Putrov*</I> <P><B>31 July, 3 August (e)</B> <BR>Nunez, Acosta <P><B>1(e), 3 August (m)</B> <BR>Tapper, <I>Sasaki</I> <P>From<BR><A HREF="http://www.roh.org.uk/ballet/index.cfm?ccs=173" TARGET=_blank><B>ROH website</B></A><p>[This message has been edited by sylvia (edited June 14, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 5:14 am 

I've italicized the changes. There's no casting for Olga and Lensky. Unless there's some typo, Coppen seems to have been reinstated his Onegins from Tewsley. Harvey's supposed Onegin is now a TBA! Don't like that much since I booked especially to see him in that.<P>Poor Darcey has to miss out on Don Q again! <P>Oh well, any comments?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 5:45 am 

As always, many thanks Sylvia for bringing the details up to date. I'm pleased to see that Sasaki, a lovely dancer, has the chance for a lead role and with Jamie Tapper it sounds an intriguing partnership. As Nunez/Acosta is also tempting, that grumpy kill-joy Mr Sweeney might end up seeing two performances of 'Coppelia', despite my words above.<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited June 14, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 5:51 am 

I'm also pleased that Sasaki finally has something to do, though I think Franz isn't one of the most substantial roles I've ever seen! I saw Tapper with Kobborg and Sasaki with Hatley last summer and enjoyed both pairings quite a bit.<P>Nunez I wasn't too sure about back then but rehearsal time was a bit short - I agree, she and Acosta should be good fun.<P>And I wonder who's going to fill in for that spare Don Q - someone new I hope!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:08 am 

Hmmm, so Darcey Bussell is missing out on doing Kitri in Don Q yet again? I was under the impression that she always wanted to have a go at this role and only did not due to bad luck with injuries.<BR>Has there been any report about her having gotten injured in Australia? I would be surprised if she had asked to be pulled from it voluntarily? Can anyone shed some light on this?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 9:56 am 

There hasn't been any info regarding further injuries. I guess we'll know soon enough since she's scheduled for Giselle tomorrow. <BR>I think if she was injured the RB would have pulled her from her Australia performances before pulling her from Don Q which is still some weeks away. She said on the newsletter on her website that she would start rehearsing Don Q on tour - perhaps it's just a lack of rehearsal time given how busy her schedule is. <P>I'm disappointed since this was the only Don Q I booked for, but Yoshida and Cope got such positive reviews last year I'm really looking forward to seeing them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:22 am 

Yes, a Spanish friend of mine went to see Yoshida with Cope and it was his first time of seeing Yoshida. He was really enthusing about her.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:40 am 

More cast changes! (italicized) Some startling ones. As of today (28/6). It's all <A HREF="http://www.royalballet.org/ballet/index.cfm?ccs=173" TARGET=_blank><B>here</B></A> but I'm posting it as well.<P><B>Onegin</B><BR> <BR>Roles in the following order: <BR>Tatiana, Onegin <P>15, 18 July <BR><B><I>Galeazzi</I>, Cooper</B> <P>16, 19 July <BR><B><I>Lendvai</I>, Tewsley</B> <P>17, 20(eve) July <BR><B>Cojocaru, Kobborg</B> <P>20(mat) July <BR><B>Galeazzi, <I>Harvey</I></B> <P>***************************<P><B>Don Quixote</B><P>22, 26 July <BR><B><I>Nunez</I>, Acosta</B> <P>24, 27(mat) July <BR><B>Cojocaru, Kobborg</B> <P>25(mat) July <BR><B>TBA</B> <P>25(eve), 27(eve) July <BR><B>Yoshida, Cope</B> <P>*************************<P><B>Coppelia</B><BR> <BR>29 July, 1(mat) August <BR><B>Benjamin, Kobborg</B> <P>30 July <BR><B>Yoshida, <I>Sasaki</I></B> <P>31 July, 3 (eve) August <BR><B>Nunez, Acosta</B> <P>1(eve), 3(mat) August <BR><B>Tapper, <I>Putrov</I>*</B> <P>2 August <BR><B>Yoshida, <I>Sasaki</I></B> <P>*************************<P>Sad that Tamara will miss both Onegin and Don Q, but I'm sure Mara and Marianela won't disappoint. I'm happy I'll get to see Marinanela's Don Q after all and that Martin Harvey has his Onegin restored to him. I emailed the RB yesterday and specifically asked about Tewsley in Onegin but since he isn't up here I guess it's a no. And Yoshida-Sasaki in Coppelia should be fun.<p>[This message has been edited by sylvia (edited July 11, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:50 pm 

<B>COPPELIA SPECIAL OFFER</B><P>Special Offer - Exclusive Upgrade<P>Book tickets for £48 (Mon-Thu), £42 (Fri-Sat) or £30 (matinees) and your seats will automatically be upgraded, free, to the best available seats in the Orchestra Stalls/ Grand Tier and Boxes/ Stalls Circle worth £66 (Mon-Thu) £55 (Fri-Sat) or £42 (matinees). This offer also includes one <BR>complimentary glass of champagne per person and one programme for every two tickets purchased.<P>To book tickets with this offer telephone the Royal Opera House Box Office on 020 7304 4000 and quote 'Coppelia Bulletin Offer'.<P>Click <A HREF="http://213.232.90.124/click_through.php?email_id=271&id=400" TARGET=_blank><B>here</B></A> for more information on the production and casting on the Royal Opera House website<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:08 am 

Another cast change this morning...Tewsley is dancing with Jamie Tapper after all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:04 am 

And Jamie isn't dancing at all it would seem. Unfortunately she's injured and been replaced by Yseult Lendvai, a principal from Stuttgart Ballet for the 16th and 19th July.<P>From the <A HREF="http://www.royalopera.org/ballet/index.cfm?ccs=173&cs=287" TARGET=_blank>ROH website</A>. I've made the change to the cast list on the previous page.<p>[This message has been edited by sylvia (edited July 11, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:35 am 

Oh that is a shame. I was looking forward to seeing Tapper as Tatjana. Her performance in Giselle this spring really impressed me.<P>It is interesting that they invited yet another guest to cover the performances. Does this mean Reid Anderson only approved the 4 Tatjanas we saw last year and there was NO runner-up on the list? In a company with the many obviously gifted female dancers? That seems a bit strange to me.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by OdileGB (edited July 11, 2002).]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:05 am 

Odile, I wonder if the problem is that given the fact that the Summer is upon us it may not be possible to provide anyone to coach the role and so a dancer familiar with the role has been drafted in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:14 am 

There seems to be a mild furor among RB-watchers about bringing in Ms. Lendvai from Stuttgart. I would note that she is a favorite of Reid Anderson, who was responsible for the staging, and has followed him from Ballet British Columbia (where I became somewhat familiar with her work) to National Ballet of Canada and now to Stuttgart. Given the short notice due to Jamie Tapper's injury (another Reid Anderson dancer, I should note), this should not come as a great shock....

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next