public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Did You Like the "Red Shoes?" Visit this Site
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 6:14 pm 

I really enjoyed the information on this site about the movie "The Red Shoes." Some wonderful inside information.<P> Image <BR> <A HREF="http://www.cinematographer.com/magazine/feb98/shoes/index.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.cinematographer.com/magazine/feb98/shoes/index.htm</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Maggie (edited December 04, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Did You Like the "Red Shoes?" Visit this Site
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2000 7:07 am 

That's a fascinating site Maggie - thanks...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2000 7:45 am 

Image <P>One of Hein Heckroth's paintings, later translated into the live action of the Red Shoes Ballet.<P><BR>I have long been an admirer of the films of Powell and Pressburger and key elements in their work are the vivid colours and expressionistic quality - most un-English. What this admirable website does not mention is that Hein Heckroth, the Artistic Designer of 'The Red Shoes' and the later and more baroque 'Tales of Hoffmann', was also the designer for most of the work of Kurt Jooss in the 1930s, including 'The Green Table'. There are rumours of a TV recording of a new Joffrey revival of the work. If so, it might be interesting to look out for stylistic links between Heckroth's work in this piece and with the 17 minute 'Red Shoes Ballet'. <P>My memory of the BRB production of 'The Green Table' from 7 years ago or so is of dramatic lighting, colours and costumes, very much in keeping with Powell and Pressburger.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited December 05, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2000 11:04 am 

I have the tape of the Joffrey Ballet doing "Green Table" - that is really a fascinating ballet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2001 7:35 am 

‘The devil in the dance - as The Red Shoes is given a modern reworking, Lyn Gardner<BR>explores how authority has always felt threatened by the mania for dance.’ <P>And rightly so in my book - I’d ban it all AT ONCE.<BR> <P> <A HREF="http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4125198,00.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4125198,00.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2001 5:22 am 

I am sure you would find the new student ballet being created by Kate Simmons, inspired by 'The Tales of Hoffmann' called simply 'Hoffmann' to be staged at the Lowry in early April, quite delightful. It has all the magical elements of the doll played by Moira Shearer in the film, (who will sing(mime) the doll's song in this production), the tragedy of dying Antonia and the courtesan has been 'trasformed' into a magnificent butterfly with a corp de ballet of butterflies.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:55 pm 

'Moira Shearer Red Shoes posters going for more than a song,' by Karen McVeigh. A preview of a Christie's auction with some background about the divine Ms Shearer. <P> <A HREF="http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/uk.cfm?id=54164" TARGET=_blank>http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/uk.cfm?id=54164</A> <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2001 5:48 am 

Image <P><BR>This is a very entertaining site full of insider information about "The Red Shoes" and the costume designer, Jacques Fath. Fath was a contemporary and equal to Dior and Balmain. He is relatively unknown due to the fact that he died young. Fun site!<BR> <A HREF="http://www.fashionfinds.com/april/pages/jacquesfathscostumesfortheredshoes.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.fashionfinds.com/april/pages/jacquesfathscostumesfortheredshoes.htm</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Maggie (edited March 17, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2001 7:01 am 

What a lovely picture.......

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 4:51 am 

<B>Stars in their minds</B> <BR> <BR>Posh Spice's desire to be Moira Shearer is another example of success breeding hubris <BR> <BR>BY STUART MACONIE <BR> <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Vanity, thy name is woman,” declared Hamlet somewhat tetchily, although to be fair he was under a lot of stress at the time. But cynics must have been agreeing with the pale, indecisive Dane this week upon hearing the news, or at least the rumour from “sources close to Victoria Beckham”, that Posh Spice is looking into the possibility of remaking the slushy 1948 pop ballet classic The Red Shoes through her own production company.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P><A HREF="http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,62-2001250094,00.html" TARGET=_blank><B>more...</B></A><P><BR>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 10:50 am 

Excuse me, but who is this Posh Spice person, and is she even a dancer? Is nothing sacred? What's next, Madonna as Ondine? AUGH!<BR>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 3:24 pm 

Well Sissone, Posh Spice is not a dancer, but rather a chanteuse. <P>But actually I don't see art works as sacred. I remember going round the Franz Hals Museum in Haarlem, Holland a few years ago and they had brought in a young contemporary artist to make some works that related to the Museum and he made some pastich paintings on the Frans Hals originals which were hung alongside them. Actually the new pieces were not much, but I admired the curators enormously for organising this initiative. They knew that nothing could detract from the originals and that maybe some of the new pieces might enhance the experience of visitors.<P>The National Gallery in London has done similar shows now. <P>'The Red Shoes' is a fine piece of film art - it would be tricky to make a new version now. But remember tha Mel Brooks made a new version of the Lubitsch 'To Be Or not To Be.' At a lecture in London after finishing the film, he said, 'Listen, I know my film is not as good as the original, but who sees it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:25 am 

According to an interview with Ludovic Kennedy (lawyer, writer) in today's Times, Moira Shearer could not dance the Foxtrot. He met her at a dance (coincidentally) after seeing the film and falling in love with her. He plucked up courage to ask her to dance and she told him she couldn't but would have a try. She stepped all over him. Good to know that these ballerinas have some shortcomings. Still, they married 6 weeks later and remain devoted. Nice story. Unfortunately I cannot link you to the article because the Times is having a "moment" but there wasn't much more on Ms Shearer, Lady Kennedy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:21 am 

Try <A HREF="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-196-340342,00.html" TARGET=_blank>this</A> link. It's a fun anecdote!<P>I'm embarassed to admit that I know anything about the Spice girls but in defense of Posh she studied ballet and dance seriously for 12 years and went to performing arts school. She's much better regarded as a dancer than a singer (which I know isn't saying much Image).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:23 am 

Ok, and I've just noticed that Sissone and Stuart's posts were a year ago.<p>[This message has been edited by sylvia (edited June 29, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next