public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Adeline Genee Competition
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 8:35 am 

rieglerina - If you haven't got your Inter yet it's a bit premature to talk about auditioning for companies. You need to have a good grounding in Advanced (as far as RAD is concerned) in order to be up there at pro level. After you have your Inter it would be reasonable to talk about trying for the big pro schools.<BR>I did an audition at the RBS years ago (when I was an adolescent) and noted to my chagrin that almost all the others were at Advanced level already. I didn't get in, needless to say, as I was an Elementary level then. They were very nice to me, but it was a scary experience, as I simply wasn't technically prepared at the time. I never tried again later.<P>If you are going to go for auditions make sure you are at the required level, or near, BEFORE you get there! I don't want to burst your bubble, but I am being realistic.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 4:58 pm 

Thank you to Basheva & Red Shoes.<P>To Red Shoes,<BR>I do understand and appreciate your input. Of course!! I meant AFTER I pass Intermediate, and probably only if I receive Highly Commended or Honors. I am not so naive to think I could go straight into a company. I only hope to get information like you have given in order to help me "prepare" for the future.<P>I am committed to keep studying RAD as long as I have my "teacher". Hopefully, she will remain in good health.<P>So..keep those comments coming!<p>[This message has been edited by Rieglerina (edited June 28, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 8:38 am 

<B>Dancer's spirit returns</B>
September 26 2002
Sydney Morning Herald

<B>Almost 90 years after Adeline Genee's dances thrilled Sydney, the ballet competition named in her honour is coming to town. Valerie Lawson reports.</B>

In December, the Genee ballet competition staged by the Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) is coming to Sydney. It's the first time in their 70-year history that the Genee awards will be held away from their home city, London.

Genee was a co-founder of the RAD, and the first of only three presidents of the international teaching organisation. All three have been dancing Dames. Her successors were Dame Margot Fonteyn, and the current president, former ballerina Dame Antoinette Sibley, who will lead the panel of adjudicators for this year's competition.

<A HREF="http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/09/25/1032734222054.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:11 am 

<B>Wobbles aside, dancers leap for gold</B>
By Sharon Verghis
December 17 2002
Sydney Morning Herald

It was a rare opportunity for these young performers, and it was eagerly taken. The competition, organised by the Royal Academy of Dance, was being held outside London for the first time in 70 years, and Australian students leapt at the opportunity to gauge emerging talent, catch the eye of the Australian Ballet's David McAllister, and perhaps mingle with that venerable great of ballet, Dame Antoinette Sibley, one of three judges and the head of the Royal Academy.

<A HREF="http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/12/16/1039656339547.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More...</B></A>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:05 pm 

I just thought I would update you on the requirements for the Genee Competition...becuase they changed the marking system this year you must now receive Distinction on you Advanced 2 or pass your solo seal...you must still be under the age of 19..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:26 pm 

Hi Dancing Diva and welcome to CriticalDance. Thanks for this helpful information and we look forward to your future posts.

<small>[ 14 July 2003, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2