public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Irek Mukhamedov
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 10:49 pm 

Article in the Evening Standard<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Brutal Truth: Too old to dance<P>by Jeffery Taylor<BR>There was a buzz around the Royal Ballet's performance at the Opera House, Covent Garden, last 16 May. It was not just the standing-room-only status in the auditorium - the usual capacity for an Irek Mukhamedov performance. <BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/hottx/music/top_review.html?in_review_id=436017&in_review_text_id=390487" TARGET=_blank> <B> MORE... </B> </A>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Irek Mukhamedov
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 1:29 am 

Irek danincg with Altynai is a sensuous experience. They are equally matched in physical years and experience and they really do spar with one another. I urge you to go to the Coliseum to see the gala performance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 11:49 am 

There appears to be a problem with the link I posted above. Basically when you click on it it will go to the Music section. Simply click on theatre and then you will find the Irek article.<P>Sorry.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2001 11:23 pm 

Article in the Daily Telegraph<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><P>'I was kicked like a nothing'<BR> <BR>Retiring Royal Ballet star Irek Mukhamedov is still stung by the manner of his departure. On the eve of the farewell gala performance that he had to organise himself, he tells Ismene Brown what happened<BR> <BR> <BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=005760794236107&rtmo=0KKr0Jiq&atmo=rrrrrrrq&pg=/et/01/9/25/btirek25.html" TARGET=_blank> <B> MORE... </B> </A><P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited September 25, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 12:05 am 

I read this article and cringed. <P>I will be at the gala on Sunday to support this great dancer. Who else will be there - I mean in the audience rather than on stage.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 3:50 am 

I also cringed. To suggest that Lesley Collier became a "major star" through dancing with Mukhamedov is an insult!!! Collier had been a major star from the moment she set foot on the Covent Garden stage. And suggesting Viviana Durante wouldn't have become a "world class ballerina" without him is an equally fatuous statement. These dancers achieved their status through their own talent and hard work, not through association with a Soviet defector.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 3:10 pm 

I agree - a bit too much offended ego. Much as I adore Irek as a dancer, he could have taken the responsibility of making a dignified farewell to the classics, and announced those May Giselles as his final bow with the RB. He was after all there when Lesley Collier, a star for decades, made her farewell Giselle to fantastic acclaim and shops full of flowers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:57 am 

To be fair, Mukhamedov is not quoted in the article as saying that he made silk purses out of the raw material that is Durante and was la Collier. Though I have not met him personally, the interviews with him have shown an enthusiastic dancer and person. I have never thought of him as having a particularly large ego.<P> The manner of his exit from the Royal Ballet could probably have been smoother - it must be incredibly hard for a dancer to have to retire at what, for most careers, is such a young age.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 11:39 pm 

Article on Adam Copper dancing in Irek Mukhamedov's gala - from The Evening Standard<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><BR>Adam Cooper, who was nominated for a Tony Award after his performance in an all-male Swan Lake, and the Royal Ballet's Tamara Rojo, flagged as the new Margot Fonteyn, will be the first British dancers to appear in Spartacus, the jewel in the crown of the Bolshoi Ballet's repertoire. <BR> <BR>The item will be a special feature in Russian dance star Irek Mukhamedov's A Celebration of Ballet at the London Coliseum, in aid of the Kids charity for disabled children on Sunday <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/hottx/music/top_review.html?in_review_id=436017&in_review_text_id=390487" TARGET=_blank> <B> MORE... </B></A><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited September 28, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:12 am 

The old dog's new tricks

Irek Mukhamedov has written a new ballet for London schoolchildren. There's just one problem, he tells Louise Levene [The Telegraph]: they've been so badly taught

Quote:
A girlfriend of mine once spotted Irek Mukhamedov in a supermarket in Tring and has been haunting the red meat counter ever since, legs waxed, in full make-up, in hope of another glimpse of one of the handsomest men in the Home Counties. He was 43 last month but his pantherish good looks are undiminished and he seems relaxed and fit despite an unusually heavy schedule.
more...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 3:48 am 

Onwards and upwards
He may be ballet's most charismatic star, but Irek Mukhamedov doesn't care about glamour. Now a teacher and a choreographer as well as a performer, he tells Nadine Meisner in The Independent why he's happy in his new roles.

Where do I find today's most heart-fluttering Tartar, the man who put big-time machismo into ballet, the dancer who was the Bolshoi's answer to Charlton Heston? Behind the wheel of a low-slung, chafing Ferrari? In the sleek foyer of a Park Lane hotel?

Irek Mukhamedov stands on a rickety table in a scruffy, stifling studio in Fulham Broadway. At his feet seethes a human sea of 57 children, aged nine to 15. They scratch, chatter, open bags of crisps, slurp fruit juice, adjust their leotards. I feel I've walked into a prickly, itchy swarm of mosquitoes.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]