public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Robert Tewsley leaves Royal Ballet.....and joins NYCB
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:54 am 

From the ROH website

ROBERT TEWSLEY TO LEAVE THE ROYAL BALLET

Press Release
1 November 2002

Principal Dancer Robert Tewsley has decided to leave The Royal Ballet at his own request following his last performance in Kenneth MacMillan’s Mayerling on 14th November 2002.

Robert Tewsley was born in Leicester, England and received his ballet training at the Royal Ballet School in London. Upon his graduation in 1990 he joined the National Ballet of Canada rising through the ranks to Principal. In 1996 he joined the Stuttgart Ballet as Principal Dancer. As a guest with The Royal Ballet he has danced the title role in John Cranko's Onegin, Siegfried in Anthony Dowell's production of Swan Lake and Albrecht in Peter Wright's production of Giselle. As a principal with the Company he danced the title role in MacMillan's Mayerling.

Acting Royal Ballet Director Monica Mason said today, “I am very disappointed by Robert Tewsley's decision not to remain with the Company. I have very much admired his performances during the short time he has been with us but fully understand his wishes to broaden the scope of his career. I wish him every future success.”

Robert Tewsley said, “I am deeply sad to be leaving The Royal Ballet. At this stage of my career I was looking forward to the challenge of the major roles in the Company's repertoire including the ballets of Kenneth MacMillan. However a dancer's career is short and I feel that I need opportunities to perform more regularly than The Royal Ballet is able to offer me at this time.”

<small>[ 12-06-2002, 16:32: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Robert Tewsley leaves Royal Ballet.....and joins NYCB
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:56 am 

Link to The Times

Quote:
ONE of the Royal Ballet’s principal dancers has announced his intention to quit, five weeks after Ross Stretton’s departure as artistic director.

Robert Tewsely, who was regarded as a jewel in Covent Garden’s crown, fell out with Monica Mason, the acting artistic director, over the number of performances he has been given. When he leaves, in two weeks, it will be after only three performances. His final performance will be in Kenneth MacMillan’s Mayerling on November 14.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:00 am 

Have to say, I'm absolutely gutted. I was so excited after seeing his Onegin and hearing he was to join the RB and I was so looking forward to his Sleeping Beauty with Cojocaru. Wonder how the RB'll replace him in all those full-lengths.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 8:54 am 

As you say Sylvia, this is a major disappointment. I saw him in "Onegin" last year when he was guesting and he is clearly a dancer of the first rank.

I am a little surprised as, of the major companies around the world, I would have thought that the Royal would have been able to provide more oportunities than most. I hope he finds a berth in a company that can match his requirements.

I plan to see him next Friday in "Mayerling".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:44 am 

Oh no, that really is very disappointing! I was looking forward to being able to see him in a variety of roles after his impressive 'Onegin'.
I am just surprised that he was disappointed by the number of performances he had been given.
He must have realised that the RB is no small company and although thin on the ground as far as male principals are concerned everyone wants to perform. What did he expect? Or what had he been lead to expect? Sound a bit strange to me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:46 pm 

Two stories from a couple of days ago which don't add a lot to what we have already heard:

Royal Ballet star quits, weeks after director
By Jack Malvern for The Times

ONE of the Royal Ballet’s principal dancers has announced his intention to quit, five weeks after Ross Stretton’s departure as artistic director.
Robert Tewsely, who was regarded as a jewel in Covent Garden’s crown, fell out with Monica Mason, the acting artistic director, over the number of performances he has been given. When he leaves, in two weeks, it will be after only three performances. His final performance will be in Kenneth MacMillan’s Mayerling on November 14.

Tewsely had been persuaded to join the Royal Ballet by Stretton. His debut at the Royal Ballet was on Wednesday.

click for more

Royal Ballet star leaves company after two months
Maev Kennedy from The Guardian

The Royal Ballet is to lose a principal dancer, after one of the shortest careers with the company on record.
Robert Tewsley announced last night that he is leaving the company in a fortnight, after his last performance in the title role in Kenneth MacMillan's Mayerling, on November 14 - his only role with the company since he joined as a permanent member on September 10.

His decision seems to be based more on frustration that joining one of the world's most famous companies hasn't guaranteed a place in the spotlight than fallout from the disastrous regime of director Ross Stretton, who was forced out of his job six weeks ago.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:31 pm 

Robert Tewsley has joined NYCB and here is the announcement on their website.

ROBERT TEWSLEY TO JOIN NEW YORK CITY BALLET AS PRINCIPAL DANCER

New York City Ballet today announced that Robert Tewsley will join the Company as a Principal Dancer, effective immediately. His first performances will take place during the Company’s annual holiday presentation of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker™.

Mr. Tewsley was born in Leicester, England, and studied at the Royal Ballet School. From 1990 to 1996, he danced with the National Ballet of Canada, where he achieved the rank of principal. In 1996, Mr. Tewsley joined the Stuttgart Ballet as a principal dancer, and in the fall of 2002 Mr. Tewsley joined the Royal Ballet, where he had earlier appeared as a guest artist in roles such as Onegin, Prince Siegfried in Swan Lake, and as Albrecht in Giselle.

Mr. Tewsley previously appeared with New York City Ballet as a guest artist during the 1999 and 2000 spring seasons, where his repertory included George Balanchine’s Theme and Variations, Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux, and Tschaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 2, as well as Peter Martins’ Todo Buenos Aires.

click for more

I hope it works out well for this fine dancer. Any discussions in our NYCB thread please

<small>[ 12-06-2002, 16:39: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]