public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Royal Opera House Costumes On Sale
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 6:41 am 

This Is London - 4 August 2002:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Opera costumes go on sale</B><P>Opera and ballet fans are being offered the chance to buy hand-made, original costumes from their favourite productions.<P>The Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London, is selling a treasure chest of more than a thousand outfits, each bearing the name of the performer for whom they were made.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><a href="" target="_blank"><B>more...</B></a><BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Royal Opera House Costumes On Sale
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 11:57 pm 

Article in the Independent.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Sam Andersen may have been sixth in the queue, but she had trainers on and young legs. When the doors of the Royal Opera House, in Covent Garden, London, opened at 10am yesterday, heralding the start of its sale of opera and ballet costumes, Ms Andersen, 23, hared past the opposition.<P>"I'm after corsets, evening dresses, anything I can wear," said the drama student from West Hoathly, West Sussex, who had been queuing since 6am. "My heart's racing. Oh my God, it's so exciting!"<P><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/theatre/news/story.jsp?story=321678" TARGET=_blank> <B> MORE </B> </A><P>And in The Guardian.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>There were Versace waistcoats on offer yesterday for £30, and handmade silk velvet ball gowns at £250, at the most up-market jumble sale in the country. <BR>As in any village hall sale, the stalls included old frocks, gloves, hats, some slightly dodgy wigs, scuffed shoes and jewellery. In this case, however, the previous owners included the Sleeping Beauty and Don Quixote. The most expensive single item was a calf-skin greatcoat, once worn by Julius Caesar, for £350. <P><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,769127,00.html" TARGET=_blank> <B> MORE </B> </A><p>[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited August 05, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:09 am 

I would have loved to have gone to the sale , would have bought Carabosse costume if it had been on sale ....<BR>Anyone here go to it and buy anything??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 5:33 am 

I queued for 2 hours (nursing a hangover) and wasn't anywhere near the doors, so gave up and went shopping in Covent Garden.<P>Clearly, I wasn't dedicated enough to be up at 3am! I shall know to do it next time. quite fancy a tutu for my wall (sadly, absolutely no chance of ever fitting into one!)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 6:41 am 

BBC News, 5 August, 2002:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Opera costumes snapped up</B><P>About 7,000 people attended the sale, which was expected to raise about £250,000.<P>They were sold because the venue no longer has the room to store them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><B>more...</B><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 7:58 am 

I am glad to hear that even if i HAD gone there at 8am which I had contemplated - that it would have been too late. I really can't cope with such early sundays - particularly when the sun isn't shining. Did anyone buy anything in the end?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 9:15 pm 

Is that a photo of Squirrel Nutkin in the BBC News article? I have the video of <I>The Tales of Beatrix Potter</I> (which I love), but I don't recall the character being dressed in what appears to be angelic robes. Was there another ballet with a squirrel character?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 9:47 pm 

I believe that squirrel was from an opers, and the robes worn with it were not connected - just someone having a bit of fun.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 2:18 am 

My husband took my daughters--they got there at 8:30 and were in the first group admitted. They went straight for the tutus--but found them much too expensive--but beautiful! They did buy the Cupid costume from Don Q--it's really exquisite and in great condition--and it fits my daughter with room to grow (where she'll wear it is another question!) They also bought some hats--which were quite reasonable in price and a very Napoleonic looking uniform from "Ballo" They really thought it was a wonderful experience!

<small>[ 08-10-2002, 04:22: Message edited by: bbfan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 3:32 am 

Thanks a lot bbfan for telling us abot the experiences of your family. Glad they got some good gear!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]