CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: What to do when it rains.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:45 am 

A fun piece and ballet does get a mention towards the end:

Raining? Of course it is - I'm on holiday
By Fordyce Maxwell for The Scotsman

DIDN’T it rain? It certainly did, still is at time of writing and, quite possibly given the bred-in-the-bone weather forecasting skills of us old country types, may still be raining at time of reading.

Listening to the early morning radio, I learned that the Edinburgh bypass was closed, the A1 was closed, travel across the Forth Road Bridge was difficult, the Borders General Hospital - GBH to its irreverent clientele - was cut off, many Borders roads were hub-cap deep and other parts of the country of less immediate interest were also disappearing under water.

That mayhem, I reflected, hurling back the duvet and leaping into morning action, was explained by the way the rain had thrashed on windows and roof all night. Probably an inch of rain had fallen. On consideration, watching seagulls surfing the back green, probably two inches. The sky was grey, verging on black. No doubt about it, I’d picked another good week for a holiday.

click for more

Post subject: Re: What to do when it rains.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:26 am 

well it is raining here very hard,it has been for the past two days non stop. There are gale force winds of around 70mph and there is a warning out for 100mph winds tonight and tomorrow , also out are local flood warnings..quite a few of the roads here are blocked due to flooding which makes a change from being blocked by snow!!it was snowing here on Monday/Tuesday.
I have a moat that has formed around the grass and if the water on the path gets higher i will need a drawbridge to get into the garden!!i know i have always wanted to live in a castle , but this is ridiculous!!
So i can't do much else except make my christmas list out and watch a few ballet videos/DSVDs. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:48 am 

Maybe the old joke about Kirk Douglas in Norway filming the Vikings applies to Scotland:

It's been pouring with rain for hours and Douglas and the crew are waitng for a window to continue the already delayed filming in the fjords. Douglas turns to a young Norwegian helper -

Douglas: Does it always rain here?

Norwegian helper: I don't know. I'm only 18.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:22 am 

LOLOL - 18 year olds can be so cute!

The Vikings - by one of my favorite authors, Edison Marshall.

ok - back to rain......

It hasn't rained here in so many months I can't even remember what rain is like. Yes, we did have a sprinkle (five drops in five minutes) about two months ago. But no real rain for almost a year. Everyone rushed outside to count the drops - that's how I know exactly how many there were :)

So, all the garden plants have to be watered, and that's not the same. The water comes by aquaduct from the mountains in Northern California and by the time it reaches us, - well, it's just not the same. Many people give up on lawns - I do, too. The freeways are almost all landscaped - quite lushly, actually - but they are watered with re-cycled 'stuff.' Trees in the forests in the mountains just east of here are dying. And, of course there is always the heavy danger of forest fires.

So, count your rain drops and be happy!

Can I make this dance related? Yes, I can. About 100 years ago when there was a similar drought in San Diego, a man was hired to do a rain dance (can't hurt to try anything), and he was very successful. He was SO successful, that it wouldn't stop raining and there was a flood. He heard a mob was after him, and he escaped during the night and left the county in a big hurry.

So, the lesson to be learned here might be, if you are going to do a rain dance maybe you should leave out the grand allegro.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:31 am 

Seattle REALLY isn't all about rain - more of a faint cloudy, drizzle. Excellent for coffee and inside activities! :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:03 am 

I lived for 8 years in the Richmond District of San Francisco, not very far from the ocean, which means that I saw a lot of fog in the summers. One year I actually lost a roommate because of it. We were fogged in for 30 days straight. She got so depressed, she moved across the bay to Oakland, which is much sunnier. I wasn't aware of feeling depressed when I lived in the Richmond, but now that I live in one of the sunny areas of SF, I do feel happier.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:06 pm 

A little rain is actually very healthy. It puts negative ions in the air. :eek:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:00 pm 

I actually love the rain, the grey, the drizzle... but watch out for Seasonal Affective Disorder!
Does anyone out there live on a beach and go for walks every morning in the sunshine? ( Like those commercials on TV)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:23 pm 

I live about ten-twelve miles (depends upon which road you take) from the beach. I don't go for walks in the morning, but it is not at all unusual for my husband and I to go for a long walk along the beach in the late afternoon/early evening. Does that count? :)

There are miles of beaches here as well as inlets and bays - white sand beach/cliffs/rocky shores/sea grass - etc. So there's lots of different types of walks to choose from depending on how many people you want to see along the way as opposed to how many birds and seals. One of my favorite things to do is to investigate the tide pools - but nothing can be disturbed. Just look - don't touch.

Please send us some rain. I really miss thunderstorms, so sometimes I go here:

The Storm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:36 pm 

Wow! The storm site is fantastic Basheva. Thanks for sharing that with us. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:42 pm 

Afternoon walks with loved ones certainly count!
Nice storm site. For a moment I thought that I would be swept away to see the Wizard, The Wonderful Wizard of OZ,.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:52 pm 

I like being outside in the rain, as long as I can stay warm and it's not so windy that the rain hurts.

I like going to the beach, in any weather, any time of day or night. Many years ago I spent a lovely couple of hours on a rainy afternoon under a canopy of trees up above Baker Beach in San Francisco. The trees kept me protected from the rain for a couple of hours, but eventually they got too drippy for comfort.

I remember one lovely rainy day in spring in NYC, walking through Fort Tryon Park to the Cloisters. It was at that stage of spring when some trees are still flowering and others are that beautiful, light green.

When I was in college in North Carolina, my summer job was as a dancer in an outdoor drama, "The Lost Colony." We performed on an outdoor stage that was built right at the water's edge on Pamlico Sound. Sometimes we had to perform during nor'easters, which was not fun. If it was raining too hard when the performance was supposed to start, they'd hold the show for up to half an hour. If the rain stopped or lightened up, the stage (which was sand) would be raked and we'd go on.

But once, the rain stopped right on the half hour, and the stage manager decided too many audience members had left already, so we went out without the sand being raked. There were puddles everywhere. Our first dance was a supposed Native American dance. We were scantily dressed, and our Broadway jazz-style Indian dance (yikes!) involved some straight-arm falls. I always seemed to land in a puddle. At one point, all the women came together and jumped into a second position plie, in a circle. There was a huge skoosh! and splash as we landed simultaneously in the biggest puddle on stage.

One of those summers, on a night when the show was closed because of a hurricane offshore, we went to the beach at night. It was very reckless, of course, and rather scary, but it was fun. (And we danced on the beach.)

<small>[ 10-23-2002, 22:01: Message edited by: djb ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:32 pm 

Now that is a nice story, and dance related, djb. Sounds like you gals have the life of princesses. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:33 am 

I wish we all could be California girls.

I think "straight arm fall" must be the wrong name for the fall I performed into the puddle. If you keep your arms straight, you'd incur some pretty bad damage. I was referring to falling forward with a rigid body, and catching yourself on your arms as late as possible, whatever that's called - a straight body fall?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]