CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Obituary of Irving Davies
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:19 am 

Irving Davies
Choreographer and dancer who brought balletic style to popular shows. By Wendy Toye in The Guardian

When, in 1943, I was auditioning for replacements for the West End revue Strike A New Note, which made the comedian Sid Field an overnight success, a ridiculously good-looking - no, beautiful - 16-year-old turned up and tapped up a storm for me. He later told me that I said: "What has kept you from me all these years?"

The young man in question was Irving Davies, who has died of a heart attack aged 76, and he went on to become a leading choreographer for stage, television and film. We danced together over the years in many television spectaculars, were featured in the film I'll Be Your Sweetheart (1945), and played Winnie and Tommy in Annie Get Your Gun, at the London Coliseum in 1946.

Irving, who was born in Barry, Glamorgan, always regretted that he had no classical background, but he picked up everything so quickly that one would have thought, especially in the numbers he choreographed to poems, that he had had a thorough ballet training. And, of course, he always used great dancers, who interpreted his work brilliantly.

click for more

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]