CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: RB Programme Changes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:02 am 

Following the departure of Ross Stretton a number of changes have been made to the scheduled programme for the 2002/3 season. Here is the link http://www.royalopera.org/News/Index.cfm?ccs=326&cs=721

<small>[ 10-09-2002, 06:11: Message edited by: Cassandra ]</small>

Post subject: Re: RB Programme Changes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:44 am 

From the [url=http://www.royalballet.org/AbouttheHouse/Index]
ROH Website[/url] just to highlight (but the website has much more detail):

Le Parc is replaced by a Triple Bill to mark the 10th anniversary of Rudolf Nureyev's death on 6th January 1993.

5, 9, 11, 14, 17, 23, 26 April

Apollo

Divertissements which are interwoven into a "montage of film, photography and dialogue arranged by Sylvie Guillem" including extracts from
Le Corsaire
Images of Love
Lame
La Sylphide
In the middle, somewhat elevated

Raymonda Act III

Prince of the Pagodas is replaced by a Triple Bill as part of the International Celebration of Kenneth MacMillan.

29, 30 April, 2, 3, 8, 9, 14 May

Danses Concertantes
The Judas Tree
Gloria

Romeo and Juliet as part of the International celebration of Kenneth MacMillan

4, 5 (mat & eve), 6, 7 (mat) 9, 10, 12, 13, 14(mat) June

And some additional performances:

Manon

16, 19 May

The Sleeping Beauty

12, 15, 21 April (mat & eve)

<small>[ 10-09-2002, 12:02: Message edited by: sylvia ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 10:04 am 

Many thanks Cassandra and Sylvia. There is an article on this theme in the Guardian by Fiachra Gibbons, but it is such a poor piece of journalism by the Arts Editor, making allegations without substantiation, that I am not prepared to put up a link from here.

Come on The Guardian, you can do better than this!!!

The replacement of "Le Parc" by a frequently seen series of ballet divertissements, "Raymonda Act III" and a series of further divertissements does NOT seem like a step forward to me. In fact I think I have seen an almost identical programme on a small-scale ENB tour. I wonder how much compensation has had to be paid to get out of staging "Le Parc"?

Not a good first move in my view. What do others think?

<small>[ 10-14-2002, 13:52: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 10:29 am 

I would rather have seen the Nureyev tribute replacing the newly announced R&J's than Le Parc, which was to have been the highlight of the year as far as I am concerned. I've also been wondering about what sort of compensation we tax payers will be shelling out over this

Replacing Prince of the Pagodas has me fuming with rage particularly as one of the replacement works is the vile Judas Tree. I certainly won't bother to watch it again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 10:32 am 

I'm fine with dropping Prince of the Pagodas but it's because of a personal dislike. I found it so cold and uncomfortable to watch - not interesting-uncomfotable, just irritably uncomfortable, though I have to admit I've only seen it on video. I was very curious about Le Parc from what I read about POB's performances - the images were quite beautiful but the reviews so odd and impossible to decipher. I kept hearing it was another production not really suited to the RB but I know nothing of Preljocaj so what do I know? I actually like the Triple Bills and especially want to see Images of Love, Gloria and Raymonda. The Nureyev anniversary shouldn't be ignored IMO. A bit wary of Judas Tree. I agree, we really didn't need more Manons or Sleeping Beauties - there must be 20+ performances of SB already. If they had to repeat anything I'd choose Mayerling - there's next to nothing left for October. But I guess it's not feasible in the middle of April. I wonder if Sarah Wildor could possibly be asked to guest/return? It's her Juliet and Manon I most wanted to see.

<small>[ 10-09-2002, 12:46: Message edited by: sylvia ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 7:36 am 

I'm actually looking forward to the programme changes, just to be a bit different to everyone else! In spring I'll have a lot more opportunities to actually see some ballet, having hardly seen any in my life, and I like the combination of full-length classics with the triple bill shorter modern works. I am completely uneducated as a ballet-goer, but surely a programme that makes me want to go and see more ballet is a good thing?! I would have liked to see the Prince of the Pagodas though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:54 am 

I remain disappointed with the programme changes, as I would have liked to see The Royal Ballet tackle "Le Parc" and "Prince of the Pagodas". However, there is no point having a caretaker Artistic Director and Monica Mason has to assert her vision for the Company in the period before a new AD is in place. Thus I respect the fact that if Ms Mason was unhappy with these choices then it is right and proper that she should replace them with programmes to which she can give complete support.

I'm sure that everyone here on CriticalDance wishes Monica Mason every success on her stewardship of the Company.

<small>[ 10-14-2002, 13:58: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]