public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: The King is Dancing (Le Roi Danse)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:51 am 

<B>The King is Dancing (Le Roi Danse)</B><BR>A glimpse of ballet's heritage<BR>by Sarah Frater in The Evening Standard<P><BR>"Consider your luck as great as your talent," is how Louis XIV admonishes Giovanni Baptista Lulli, the Italian dancer-musician and wayward Superintendent of the King's Music. <P>The relationship between the two men is not one you'll find chronicled in the dance history books, but Gérard Corbiau's interpretation is a fascinating one. <P>He portrays Le Florentin Lulli, later the Frenchified Jean Baptiste Lully, as a creative hot-head, the creator of the King s ballets, grands spectacles, who is sexually besotted with his monarch. For Louis, the relationship is more pragmatic he needs Lully for the dance, a representation of his sovereignty rather than their intimacy. <P>The scenes between the two are gripping, as are those between Lully and Molière, and the King and his mother. She, a cautious regent, rules by the rod rather than the heart, frustrating Louis's affections until her gruesome demise. <P><A HREF="http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/hottx/film/film.html?in_review_id=478371&in_review_text_id=601788" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A><P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The King is Dancing (Le Roi Danse)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:14 am 

This is a film I read about in "Danser en francais" awhile back. Maybe it will come to the US, too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 7:30 pm 

I was lucky enough to catch this film last year when it had its US premiere at a French Film Festival in Richmond. I highly recommend it! The cinemaography is amazing!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:00 pm 

So it probably already played here and I missed it. C'est la vie.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:05 am 

Personally I found this film something of an oddity. What I liked best about it was the recreation of 17th century theatre and the reminder that those familiar Moliere plays were originally performed with a sizeable dance element, not something I’ve seen in contemporary productions of his works.<P>The king himself doesn’t dance very much; he poses nicely in close-up and dances more energetically in long shot, presumably with a body double. I liked the idea that Louis XIV ended his public dancing career as a result of falling over attempting a double tour though.<P>The Lully music is glorious but unfortunately we only get to hear snippets of it. As far as I could tell, the story of Lully’s career was pretty accurate and included his rather bizarre death from accidentally stabbing himself in his foot with his conducting pole (they didn’t use batons in those days, instead the conductors would beat time with a pole).<P>One word of caution though, this is a pretty gruesome film in parts and I don’t recommend it to the squeamish as it includes scenes of the queen undergoing a mastectomy without anaesthetic and Moliere haemorrhaging very graphically onstage. You’ve been warned!<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 6:22 am 

Was that part beautifully filmed, at least? Image<p>[This message has been edited by djb (edited July 12, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 6:45 am 

Probably, but I had my eyes shut. I'm very squeamish indeed!!!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]