public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: "We Will Rock You"
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 1:13 am 

Two contrasting views about the Queen musical:<P><B>We Will Rock You</B><BR>By Chris Bartlett in The Stage<P><BR>For a band characterised by their glorious follies, letting scriptwriter Ben Elton lace the staged tribute to their arsenal of songs with a message about the dangers of global musical homogenisation could prove Queen's greatest folly yet. Luckily their appeal is enough to ride roughshod over any tubthumping that Elton feels he needs to get off his chest. <P>Elton's book places the action 300 years in the future, where the occupants of Earth are under the control of the creativity-quashing corporation GlobalSoft, led by the diva-ish Killer Queen (Sharon D Clarke). <P>When outsider Galileo Figaro – a capable, if unexciting Tony Vincent – shows an affinity with the music of the 20th century he is seized by GlobalSoft's secret police and, under the command of Alexander Hanson's Khashoggi, leads them to the Bohemian rebels' lair.<P><A HREF="http://www.thestage.co.uk/paper/0220/0201.shtml" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A><P>****************************************<P><B>It's a killer, Queen</B> <BR>Charles Spencer in The daily Telegraph reviews a dreadful We Will Rock You at the Dominion Theatre.<BR> <P>REVIEWERS should, of course, approach every show with an open mind. Sometimes, however, it is easier than others.<P>When it was first announced that there was to be a new musical entirely based on the songs of the rock group Queen, my blood froze, my eyes started from their spheres and each particular hair began to stand on end, like quills upon the fretful porpentine. Despite a lifetime's addiction to pop music and a CD collection that now numbers more than 2,000 albums, I have never found it necessary to buy a single record by Queen.<P>Indeed, I would cheerfully have bought the Wombles greatest hits, Grandad by Clive Dunn and the entire back catalogue of Peters and Lee before allowing such a revolting item to pollute my cherished collection.<P><A HREF="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2002/05/15/btchas15.xml&sSheet=/arts/2002/05/18/ixstageleft.html" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: "We Will Rock You"
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 12:27 am 

Not well liked in the Sunday times.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Whatever you think about Queen, We Will Rock You is so bad, you’ll want to break free, says Dan Cairns<BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>It begins as an involuntary spasm, a jerk of the knee and a tap of the toe: a reaction familiar to anyone who knows the music of Queen, even those largely immune to its charms. Around me, people are a good deal further down the road to abandon — pumping their fists in the air and indulging in an orgy of synchronised clapping. If my response to We Will Rock You (Dominion) is Pavlovian, that of the majority of the audience is born of a fervour so profound that nothing — not critical brickbats, nor Ben Elton’s appalling, crudely stitched-together, sniggering book, nor the worryingly reactionary sentiments it expresses — will dent it. <BR> <BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-296916,00.html" TARGET=_blank> <B> more </B> </A><P>And The Observer hasn't gone overboard either.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Does someone know where the bodies are buried? I reckon Ben Elton is being blackmailed and needs to come up with the readies... either that or he's blown his taste thermostat. Not content with collaborating with the erstwhile butt of alternative comedy jokes, Andrew Lloyd Webber, on the well-intentioned mess that was The Beautiful Game, he's now teamed up with Queen to write the story and script for We Will Rock You. <P><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.observer.co.uk/review/story/0,6903,718010,00.html" TARGET=_blank> <B> MORE </B> </A><p>[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited May 19, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 12:49 am 

Two pieces from The Standard. First a review:<P><B>Are Queen the champions?</B><BR>by Pete Clark in the Evening Standard<P><BR>The band called Queen have always been the piece that did not fit into the rock 'n' roll puzzle. I grew up with them, witnessed everything from their gawky beginnings to Freddie's last flickering, and have never known anyone who possessed a single one of their records. <P>For a band that sold as many records as this one, that is a puzzle in itself. We Will Rock You is a curiously apt testimonial. It is a curate's egg attempting to achieve the status of a souffle. <P>No expense has been spared in this production. Robert De Niro has backed it, and Ben Elton is the author. Hydraulics, back projections, and lights are of the finest calibre.<P><A HREF="http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/hottx/theatre/review.html?in_review_id=556247&in_review_text_id=552535" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A><P>************************<P>And also an interview with Ben Elton, who wrote the show:<P><B>Ben: I've never been cool</B><BR>by Nick Curtis in The Evening Standard<P><BR>Ben Elton is knackered. An umpteen-hour flight back from Australia, accompanied by three children under the age of two, has left the onetime motormouth running on empty. After our chat, he tells me, he'll dash home to Kensington to help his wife Sophie Gare with the children's bathtime, then head straight back to the Dominion theatre where We Will Rock You, his musical based around the songs of Queen and his latest baby, is previewing. <P>"The fatherhood thing has changed my life completely in that I'm constantly very, very tired," he says, wearily. "My wife and I used to get up when we liked, do what we liked - we were infertile for six years." We know, Ben - you joked about it in your novel Inconceivable and your film Maybe Baby, which you also directed. "Well, now we're scrambling eggs for the kids, not sleeping, and we never go out. I remember working out the plot of Dead Famous (his last novel, a satire on reality TV shows) while singing Morningtown Ride at three in the morning, jogging the baby on my shoulder." <P><A HREF="http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/hottx/theatre/review.html?in_review_id=556247&in_review_text_id=540487" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 1:01 am 

<B>We Will Rock You: BBC online readers' views</B><BR>Feedback on the BEEB <P><BR>We Will Rock You is the latest musical to open in the West End, using the hit songs of rock band Queen to illustrate a futuristic tale written by Ben Elton. <BR>Hollywood star Robert de Niro has produced the show. He came up with the idea more than six years ago when he met Queen members Brian May and Roger Taylor at the Venice Film Festival. <P>"The problem is that Queen will always be bigger than any musical - especially one as ill-conceived as this one," wrote the BBC's Neil Smith. <P>"So Elton's attempts to subordinate their genius to his juvenile scribblings appear not just foolhardy, but downright arrogant," he added. <P>But what do you think? <P>Is it a let-down? Will Queen fans enjoy it?<P><A HREF="http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/reviews/newsid_1988000/1988915.stm" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A><P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 10:46 pm 

We Will Rock you looks set to transfer to Broadway. Article in The Indepenedent.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The musical We Will Rock You, based on Queen songs and written by the band with the comedian, Ben Elton, is on course to transfer to Broadway, despite a string of atrocious reviews.<P>Although a critical flop, the West End show has grossed more than £4m in the five weeks since it opened and has been seen by 100,000 people.<P>Booking has now been extended to next January, strengthening plans to open further productions in the United States and other countries next year.<P><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/theatre/news/story.jsp?story=309142" TARGET=_blank> <B> MORE </B> </A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:01 pm 

Queen musical follow-up to run with original in West End first
by Joanna Taylor for The Stage

Ben Elton has begun writing the sequel to multimillion pound Queen musical We Will Rock You, the band's guitarist Brian May has revealed.

Elton, who penned the script for the original show, is said to be already halfway through the follow-up which May hopes will run simultaneously with We Will Rock You in the West End.

This will be the first time an original and its sequel have been shown concurrently in the capital. May did not reveal the name of the new musical but he disclosed that it would be a continuation of the fictional story, again incorporating the songs of Queen.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]