public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: The New Bolshoi and Kirov Generation at the QEH
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:22 am 

<B>The New Bolshoi and Kirov Generation<BR> <BR>Russian Roulette</B> <P>Queen Elizabeth Hall <BR>Thursday 12th September to Saturday 14th September<P>Featuring:<BR>Maya Dumchenko<BR>Yann Godovsky<BR>Anastasia Goriacheva<BR>Igor Kolb<BR>Larissa Lezhnina<BR>Daria Pavlenko<BR>Vyacheslav Samodurov<P>A new generation of soloists from the Bolshoi & the Kirov Ballets present a special evening of dance from the Romantic ballets through neo-classical to work from the 20th century Soviet repertory.<P>The evening includes excerpts from Giselle, Flower Festival in Genzano, Flames of Paris, Le Spectre de la Rose, as well as new work by renowned Russian choreographer Alexei Ratmansky, including his Middle Duo which has proved highly popular with Russian audiences. <P><BR>Tickets: £25.00 £22.00 £18.00 <BR>Concessions: £2 off<P>Booking details, including on-line arrangements are <A HREF="http://www.sbc.org.uk/main/events/72704.html?section=dance&file=month&month=2&week=8&view=" TARGET=_blank><B>available here.</B></A><P><B>Stuart adds:</B> This event has changed somewhat from the one advertised in the Sadler's wells programmes in June which spoke about having johann Kobborg and Zenaida Yanovsky as well as some Russian dancers. The good news is that we will have the opportunity to see some oustanding dancers in the QEH which has good sight-lines and with top price seats only £25. The bad news is the name of the event, "Russian Roulette", which is not what you want to associate with ballet especially as these are pieces that the dancers will know very well.<P>My advice is to book soon. The QEH sits about 800, so over the three evenings there are less seats than for a single performance in the Coliseum.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited July 17, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The New Bolshoi and Kirov Generation at the QEH
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 10:30 pm 
A poster on Ballet.co.uk found out yesterday that this event has been cancelled. Perhaps it's only been postponed?

http://www.danze.co.uk/dcforum/news/1411.html

<small>[ 08-12-2002, 09:05: Message edited by: Kevin Ng ]</small>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 1:48 am 

Thanks for the info. Kevin. The performances have been dropped from the RFH website listings.

All very mysterious, particularly when taken with the dramatic change from the early announcements of the artists who would be involved.

Hope it is a deferral rather than a cancellation, but I suspect that the RFH managers will not be happy with the way this gig has gone so far.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 6:53 am 

Apparently some of the dancers agreed to appear at this performance without first clearing it with their company's management.

They are fortunate it resulted merely in the performance being cancelled as I can think of one Russian dancer who was actually sacked for going AWOL in similar circumstances. However there is likely to be a knock on effect as I think London managements will be wary of ventures of this sort in the future.

Speaking as a huge Russian fan I'm feeling totally gutted about this. But that's Russian Roulette for you - someone always ends up shot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 6:21 pm 
What a great pity that it was cancelled.

<small>[ 08-16-2002, 08:36: Message edited by: Kevin Ng ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:00 am 

I have now received a letter from QEH apologizing for the cancellation and explaining that it was due to "...contractual difficulties and availability of artists" which seemed to confirm my earlier posting.

However since then I have learnt that the problem was not with the dancers themselves for not asking permission to appear, but rather with the Kirov management who objected to the name Kirov being used in publicity material. I remember during the days when Grigorovitch was in charge there used to be similar issues about use of the word Bolshoi, but I thought that these days that kind of pettiness was a thing of the past. Seems not.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:21 am 
Cassandra, I didn't know the reason for the cancellation. But I suppose that the Kirov Ballet does own the copyright of its 'Kirov' name.

<small>[ 08-21-2002, 07:10: Message edited by: Kevin Ng ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:37 am 

Last night I saw a posting on here saying in detail what went on with the QEH, but now it has gone...?

What is going on here? Has it been removed because it is too near the truth? I had also heard the same story from a very reliable source and many people are saying this story as well, so it looks like it's true.Is this site too afraid to have the story on here in case it upsets someone?

What on earth is the point in having a debate site if people can't say anything!! Stuart, you have been asking if anyone knows what happened, and when it is put on you remove it......no point in having a debate then really.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:06 am 

The post has been removed temporarily whilst we check that the facts are all correct and the poster has been e-mailed informing he/she of this.

Of course we wish to encourage open debates about all aspects of dance at CD but with certain issues it is imporatnt both from a legal and moral point of view that all the facts are corroborated. From this view I will temporarily close this topic and hopefully once we have had a positive response we will be able to reopen the thread.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]