public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fifty Million Frenchmen
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:16 pm 

Review of this production taking part in The Linbury Theatre. From The Independent.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Foolishness certainly abounds in this bit of fluff about Americans in gay Paree, gawping at monuments ("I'll buy it!") and finding that hot love has to be paid for in cold cash. The form is more revue than book show – a few years later, no one would make a musical's main love song ("You Do Something to Me") the first number. A series of comic sketches and party-piece songs are connected by some nonsense about millionaire Peter Forbes's trying to win a bet – his pal says he won't be able to live on zilch for a month, or get wealthy Looloo Carroll, who will think he's poor, to marry him. Peter chokes down his horror at the word "work" and becomes a tour guide, meeting such characters as the thrusting Violet, who wants to be shocked – a tall order from one who, shown a filthy picture, says, "Let me see that again – no, I was wrong, I don't know that man." Herbert Fields's book is, of course, dated, but hardly dead (one of its jokes turned up recently on I'm Sorry, I Haven't a Clue), and part of the fun is the quaintness of the snappy period patter: "Do you know my daughter May?" "I didn't, but thanks for the tip."<P><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/theatre/reviews/story.jsp?story=314100" TARGET=_blank> <B> MORE </B> </A>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Fifty Million Frenchmen
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 2:40 am 

<B>Fifty Million Frenchmen</B><BR>by Clive Davis for The Times<P> <BR>IN CASE anyone assumes that Franco-American tensions are a recent phenomenon, the Lost Musicals revival of Cole Porter’s 1929 Broadway hit demonstrates that the two nations have been talking at cross-purposes for many a year. Porter — born in Main Street, USA, but very much a boulevardier at heart — clearly had enormous fun scoring affectionate points off both sides. We owe the director Ian Marshall Fisher an enormous debt for giving us the chance to see just how well this revue-cum-musical has aged. <BR>The show’s title is often used as a form of Broadway shorthand for the frivolous confections that sent Jazz Age audiences whistling merrily on the way to the next cocktail bar. Porter may have been no social reformer, and the storyline — footloose millionaire accepts a wager to prove he can win his true love without the help of his wallet — is not exactly the stuff of the Great American Novel. <P><A HREF="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,685-354300,00.html" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]