public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cinderella - the musical
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:45 am 

Finally, Cinderella is going to the ball
Quote:
An unknown Rodgers and Hammerstein musical? Not exactly. But although Whitney Houston and Julie Andrews have appeared in Cinderella on US television, the Bristol Old Vic's staging is the first in Britain for half a century. So, asks Rhoda Koenig, is it a lost classic?

As the director Timothy Sheader waited for a bus in Philadelphia three years ago, he glanced at a poster on the bus shelter, and did a double take. It advertised a tour of a musical called Cinderella, by Rodgers and Hammerstein. How, he wondered, could he have not known about it, given his love for musicals, fairy tales and Rodgers and Hammerstein?
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Cinderella - the musical
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:57 am 

Cinderella plays it for laughs
John Ramm's Cinderella is aimed squarely at children. But will they get the jokes?
By Rhoda Koenig
27 November 2003

Quote:
Best known as the endearing Raymond Box, half the personnel of the hysterically funny National Theatre of Brent, John Ramm has deeply serious views on Christmas entertainment. "I told the Lyric that I was interested in doing Cinderella only if it concentrated on telling a story. That often gets lost in panto. If you have someone from Coronation Street in the show, it turns into a chance for someone from Coronation Street to be funny. When my parents took me to pantomimes, I would get frustrated when the actors made jokes that only the adults could understand. Our show will be on one level - the children's."
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Cinderella - the musical
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:24 am 

Cinderella
By Jeremy Brien for The Stage

Surprisingly, this is the British premiere of the original Rodgers and Hammerstein musical version of the most traditional of fairytales, 46 years after it was written for American TV with Julie Andrews in the title role.

It is a sophisticated choice for the main Christmas offering from the Bristol Old Vic, allowing director Timothy Sheader and designer Laura Hopkins ample scope for flights of fancy in the art deco settings, complete with flying ducks on the wall and a bakelite radio.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]