public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Worboys - The Fifth Season
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:37 pm 

I can't say I was thrilled with this piece, and while Hattie Worboys has received plenty of support from your taxes, I think there was much left to be desired.

The Fifth Season was performed on 18 February at the 291 Gallery in Hackney, London. The piece is set on a train where 5 passengers enter their own world which takes centre stage ... a child remembers catching autumn leaves with her mum ... a woman reminisces about a past love ... an elderly man reflects on his life ... a young man recalls his homeland. The ideas are in place, however the performances apart from the 'elderly man' and 'young girl' were contrived and lacked conviction. 'Elderly man' and 'young girl' plainly had the gift of the stage. One duet between man and woman was such a cliche (embrace, pull away, embrace again, fall, catch, fall, roll-away) that I wished Worboys was being IRONIC because that would have at least been funny. This is self-stated 'New Dance Theatre', however, there is nothing new or particularly theatrical about it. The dance is a muddled collage of contemporary, ballet and release techniques, but lacking in any cohesive vocabulary. However, it was refreshing to see diverse casting from an elderly man to a young girl.

The Worboys programme doesn't say who danced which part. The dancers involved in the work are: Jocelyn Juritz, Mickael Finistere, Francesco Mangiacasale, Colin McLean, Steffie Sauer and Hattie Worboys.

I will however, give Worboys an 'A' for effort, there are many elements trying to work together in this multimedia dance montage, but it is simply too fragmented and fails to explore these characters in any deep or meaningful way.

<small>[ 20 February 2004, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Christine ]</small>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]