public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Bombay Dreams
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:13 am 

Review in The Independent.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>At points Rahman's songs, more problematically, sound like tributes to Sir Andrew, but his Bollywood pop number, "Shakalaka Baby", deserves to be a dance-floor hit, and the tabla drumming and bhangra beats are exhilarating. I just longed for more of the haunting Eastern ululations which fleetingly surface in the midst of more harmonically familiar show tunes.<P><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/theatre/reviews/story.jsp?story=308517" TARGET=_blank> <B> MORE </B> </A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:26 am 

I'm hoping to go and see Bombay Dreams later in the year - I'm training in Bharata Natyam, which is to Bollywood dancing what Classical Ballet is to the stuff you see on MTV, but I'm still really interested to see what the dance will be like, and also the music. I have lots of Indian friends through dance so I know a little bit about Bollywood and have to say that it is great fun, lots of dance, lots of singing, lots of romance! My favourite Bollywood actor is Shah Rukh Khan!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:55 pm 

Kate it would be very interesting to have your opinions as to how the fusion of forms in Bombay Dreams have worked when you get chance to fo and see it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:04 am 

Interview in Scotland on Sunday with Ayesha Darker, one of the stars of Bombay Dreams.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Ayesha is, after all, the supremely talented actress hailed as the ‘fab’ star of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s new spectacular, Bombay Dreams - the West End hit of the summer and the musical that has, hot on the tails of the successful Indian film Monsoon Wedding, finally brought Bollywood to mainstream Britain. If the legions of advance bookings are anything to go by, high street saris, onion bhajis and Moulin <P>Rouge-style histrionics can only be inches behind. Forget Cats, Starlight Express and Phantom. The £4.5 million Bombay Dreams has it all. In spades. Vast sets, torrid dance routines, a dollop of pre-watershed sex, a smidgen of lavatorial humour, a lot of fake rain and, of course, Ayesha’s bosom. She seems to spend most of the three hours on stage in a wet, white brassiere the size of a police tent. <BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=702772002&rware=PWYDPQEFQCLV&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=1" TARGET=_blank> <B> MORE </B> </A><P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:32 am 

<B>Bombay Dreams</B><BR>By Lisa Martland in The Stage<P> <BR>This has to be one of the most hotly anticipated openings of the year, not least because of its choice of composer, AR Rahman.<P>In this respect Andrew Lloyd Webber demonstrates good taste, Rahman is indeed a great talent. His distinctive melodies almost engulf the audience at times, boosted by a newly refurbished theatre's excellent sound system. But the composer's work is undermined by a weak creative structure which ensures Bombay Dreams never reaches its full potential.<P><A HREF="http://www.thestage.co.uk/paper/0226/0201.shtml" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 8:39 am 

<B>Bombay goes like a dream</B><BR>One of the West End's biggest gambles, Bombay Dreams, appears to have paid off - and brought a new, young audience to the theatre. <BR>By Luke Leitch for The Evening Standard <P><BR>Despite the recent surprise closure of Kiss Me, Kate, it was revealed today that Bombay Dreams is grossing some £500,000 a week - and is to be extended by six months. <P>From tomorrow tickets will go on sale for the show's extended run, which will now continue until March next year. <P>The show's producer, Andrew Lloyd Webber, said today: "We are very pleased. It looks like audiences are really taking to Bombay Dreams. We opened with nothing in the box office but now we are taking around £100,000 a day in advance sales." <P><A HREF="http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/hottx/review.html?in_review_id=641803&in_review_text_id=612561" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2