public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: ENB - Coppelia
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:12 pm 

Review in The Telegraph.

Quote:
It is strange that there is hardly a comedy to be found in ballet, considering the artificiality of its idiom, the precision of its ability to mock body language, and the lightness of the rhythms necessary to dance to. And yet, there it is, only two are commonly found - the 19th-century Coppelia and its brilliant 20th-century offspring, Ashton's La Fille mal Gardée.

MORE

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: ENB - Coppelia
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:42 pm 

WHEN I WAS 12 I WAS IN COPELLIA WITH ENB IT WAS FANTASTIC ME AND MY BRO I AM NOW14!!!!!!! THEY ARE AMAZING COMPANY

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:10 pm 

Welcome i-l-d and thank you for your memories of dancing with ENB. I agree with you that they are an amazimg company.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:25 am 

Coppelia @ Palace Theatre
By Robert Beale for Manchester online

WAITING to see Coppelia in Manchester is like waiting for the no. 73 bus: you hang around for ages and then along come two almost together.

So, after Birmingham Royal Ballet's at the Lowry six weeks ago, now we have English National Ballet's at the Palace.

Both are beautifully staged and costumed story-book productions with substantial sets and a big company to mount the piece in traditional style.

This one, Ronald Hynd's, made in 1985 for ENB's progenitor, London Festival Ballet, is just as cheerful and good-hearted as I remember it, and the almost Disney-esque design by Desmond Heeley gives it enchantment.

Maybe the slightly camp male costumes are a bit outdated by today's standards, but the people dancing in them are not.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]