public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Denver Dance Audience and Performance Spaces
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:04 pm 

In the Rocky Mountain News, Marc Shugold searches for answers regarding why a dance audience never seems to take hold in Denver:

RM News

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Mining for gold in Denver
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:33 pm 

Mr. Shurgold's theory regarding the lack of suitable dance venues as being a key reason for poor Denver dance audiences is an interesting one. However, I think the situation has as much to do with a lack of visionary presenters/producers as it does with funds. There are fantastic venues throughout the Denver metro area. What's needed are people who have a clear curatorial vision, backed by boards who support creative risk-taking (and yes, I undestand the rarity of these two things).

With all the businesses that have sprouted up in the region in recent years and the throngs of urbanites from throughout the country who are resettling to the Mile High city, I think the conditions are right for some exciting developments in Denver's contemporary dance scene. I'm curious to see who takes the lead to dust off those underused black boxes, engage the coporations who now call Colorado home, and get things moving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:16 am 

There are already several well established arts organizations in Denver so theoretically it should be feasible to get something started there. I agree there needs to be a visionary, someone with a clear concept, style and plan to present dance and educate and cultivate an audience. Denver has a reputation of still being a bit of a cowboy backwater without a well educated audience, but that could be changed with the right company, director and education programs. Look at Houston as an example.

Dance always seems to be the last of the arts to take hold in a city.

Profile E-mail