public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Utah Dance Organizations Seek to Develop Youthful Audiences
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:49 pm 

In the Salt Lake Tribune, Christy Karras discusses Studio D, a collaboration between Ballet West, Repertory Dance Theatre and the Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company to cultivate and develop audience members from their 20s through 40s, presently an underrepresented audience demographic.

SL Tribune

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:20 am 

This sounds like a good collaboration for these companies. We've seen in recent years a number of arts organizations here in Boston who have developed similar programs (Museum of Fine Arts, Huntington Theatre), and they seem to draw large crowds with several of the same tactics - discounted tickets and the promise of an informal party-like atmosphere with peers either before or after the event.

In general, I think it is helpfu to create a situation where there is less pressure placed on the person who is being attracted to the venue. I much prefer the idea of making the venue as accessible and attractive as possible as opposed to encouraging artists to make "accessible" art in the hopes that it will attract an audience. While it is helpful for producers/curators to give artists honest feedback on what they perceive their audiences as desiring, I feel it really comes down to making good matches between artists and audiences.

I look forward to hearing how Studio D works out!