public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dance Preservation Organization Lays Off Most of Staff
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:57 am 

Quote:
Since it was founded in 1940, the Dance Notation Bureau has been at the forefront of dance preservation, and it has one of the most important collections of dance scores in the nation. But on Oct. 28, it laid off five of its six staff members, including its executive director, Ilene Fox.

"We ran out of money," said Lynne Weber, chairwoman of the board of the New York-based organization. "We were not aware the financial situation was as bad as it was."

More

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:04 am 

well, I guess it could be worse ie the entire operation shut down, but not much worse. I have to say that the comment by the Chair: "We were not aware the financial situation was as bad as it was," and its impliction that this was not the Board's responsibility to oversee, almost defies belief.

Further, we read that: "Ms. Fox, as executive director, spent the summer teaching in Taiwan, giving a presentation in Malaysia, attending a conference in London and working on a major grant application. A new bookkeeper was brought on board only in late September." Ms Fox then complains that she had too much to do. It is easy to be wise after the event, but those overseas trips with Ms Fox not looking after the shop, were clearly the final straw.

My impression is that this is a very important, albeit small organisation in the worldwide dance infrastructure. I sincerely hope they can get back on an even keel and resume all their actvities.

Profile E-mail