public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: De La Warr Pavilion, Bexhill, England
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:28 am 

The DE La Warr Pavilion is one of my favourite buildings and an important centre for ballet and dance on the South Coast. I cannot tell you how pleased I am to read of the regeneration of this spectacular building, located in a sleepy small town - it's as if the Lincoln Center was located to Poughkeepsie or Lompoc.

Back to the future
In the Observer, Deyan Sudjic celebrates the restoration of the stunning, modernist De La Warr Pavilion

The De La Warr Pavilion, an unforgettable glimpse of the heroic days of modern architecture, would be remarkable anywhere. Set on a gravel beach amid the seedy gentility of Bexhill-on-Sea's bed-and-breakfast belt, with its no-longer-grand hotels, it's nothing short of a hallucination. A sliver of the Berlin of the Weimar era has been transplanted to the Sussex coastline. Originally built in 1935, and now just emerging from the scaffolding after an £8 million restoration that has rescued it from falling into the sea, it will reopen in August. After decades in decline as a down-at-heel venue for indoor car-boot sales, the De La Warr is going back to its high-minded origins, mixing culture with entertainment as an arts centre.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:57 pm 

I like that "ocean liner" style of architecture. I'm glad the building was at least used for car-boot sales for years, rather than torn down.

Profile E-mail