public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: National Ballet of Canada 'Contract'
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:46 am 

Contract Headlines NBoC's Home Page!

Could you post a more unappealing photo to show off a company’s website? It’s no secret I enjoyed the Contract as much as a trip to a doctor who uses a thermometer to take your temperature in a very dark place! Quoting my favorite critic, Michael Goldbarth:

Quote:
“I was hoping the National would save this ballet for the 100th anniversary of its choreographer’s passing! I know, I know, I shouldn’t hold back my true feelings and really let you know how I feel about this ballet! This will be a very, very tough sell to single ticket holders the 2nd time around and impossible to sell when the National visits the Big Apple. Tickets will be discounted and given away after the opening night performance to fill the theatre there.”
I chatted with fans during the intermission of this ballet and mingled about overhearing conversations, and well, most were disappointed. As well, I overheard patrons at a restaurant across the street from the Hummingbird Centre and they too were disappointed. Making ballet is about making money. If you think it is solely about making art, you’re going to have a lot of empty seats. Like it or not, ballet is entertainment first and foremost and you have to appeal to the public’s tastes.

I must assume the National is promoting the Contract as a farewell ballet to Martine Lamy and to attempt to sell more tickets. Good luck. For moi, the Contact should be shortened to one act and presented as part of a mixed evening of ballet.

I would much rather see the NBoC promote Cinderella on their website. It was a winner with me and a winner with those in attendance. Yes, the audience is always right! If the National isn’t willing to shorten the Contract, they should simply mothball it. It had some positives as posted in my review but all in all it was a lot to expect fans to sit through.
:(

<small>[ 27 August 2004, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: National Ballet of Canada 'Contract'
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:52 pm 

Good news! The NBoC has changed the ballet they're promoting on their front page! Good-bye Contract; Hello Giselle!!! Perhaps they read my comments and saw the light? :D

Giselle

Profile E-mail