public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marketing dance
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 12:01 pm 

There are a variety of ways of marketing dance companies. Here's some examples:<BR> <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>A whole new Pennsylvania Ballet is in the works. <P>Or, at least, a whole new way for potential ticket-buyers to look at the ballet is in the works, thanks to a new advertising and branding campaign about to move forward. <P>First on the list of desired demographics is more men to fill the seats at the Academy of Music, said Pennsylvania Ballet Executive Director Michael Scolamiero. <P>"There's a skew of more women than men in the audience," Scolamiero said. "And we think more men should be coming to the ballet."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P> <A HREF="http://philadelphia.bcentral.com/philadelphia/stories/2001/01/29/story8.html" TARGET=_blank>http://philadelphia.bcentral.com/philadelphia/stories/2001/01/29/story8.html</A> <P><BR>'POINTE/ COUNTERPOINTE - S.F. BALLET ADDS SPICE TO THE CLASSICS TO ATTRACT YOUNGER, HIPPER AUDIENCES.' BY ANITA AMIRREZVANI of the Mercury News. <P> <A HREF="http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/arts/docs/sfballet27.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/arts/docs/sfballet27.htm</A> <P><BR>'Ballet with Commentary' offers fun lesson for novices.'<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>An annual series of ballet performances in a special format aimed at those unfamiliar with the dance form is set to make its return to the Seoul stage. <P>"2001 Ballet with Commentary - Theme Ballet, Stories Behind the Stage," organized by Korea National Ballet, will have six performances, which will feature five different subjects that will help novices understand the individual ballet works and the overall process of how a dance production is staged. The long-term project will also display an upgraded version that incorporates suggestions made by audiences in the past.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BR> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/html_dir/2001/01/27/200101270034.asp" TARGET=_blank>http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/html_dir/2001/01/27/200101270034.asp</A> <P><BR>How do you rate these ways of bringing new audiences to dance? What other ways have you encountered to bring this about? How would you do it?<P>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Marketing dance
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 1:19 pm 

Stuart, I read that last article a couple of times and still couldn't figure out the time sequence of performance and explanation. Are they done at the same time, or before, or afterward? I ask, because our ballet association does these "informances" whereby visiting dance companies must come out after their performance of the evening and answer questions for the audience. I'm sure all dancers would rather do that than get out of their sweaty costumes and into a hot shower, etc. Also -- well after the designated performance time, someone comes out and starts talking about all the corporate sponsors, blah, blah, which backs the performance up to now being a good 30 minutes late. I'm sure the dancers also love that -- warming up, only to wait and wait. I think maybe there should be an 11th commandment somewhere that says that all administrators need to have some class experience, if not performing experience. <P>One way I've always said to get your audience is to get them young. When I was in my infancy of newspaper days, the local university brought in many dance performances from outside to a small town that really didn't know what was what (there was one dance school in the town and it did one of those 8-hour recitals every year that resembled a "Taffy's" fashion show). Meanwhile, there was also a young, energetic, enthusiastic couple with a tiny newborn splitting a part-time salary to teach dance at the college. I, as the editor of the paper, met with a fundraising officer at the college and together, we put together a package that got the husband and wife money to give lecture dems in the school system, thereby educating the kids and providing needed income for this couple. Kids need to see that it's normal to see a dancer in a supermarket, just like a police officer or teacher. I wanted to make it accessible, instead of misunderstood and elitist. This was in the late 70s and considered somewhat groundbreaking. I was happy to have a hand in it.<P>About 10 years ago, David Parsons came to U. of Minn. for a concert, but earlier in the day, put on a noon hour performance in a classroom for employees of the U. and their kids. My mom called me up and I went and we all sat on the floor -- about 2 inches away from the dancers, and had a ball. It was so much fun to see "The Letter" done with the participation of the kids, squealing and laughing as they tossed it around, etc. I'm sure those children will never forget their interactions with that troupe.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 1:24 pm 

Philadelphia has a history of support for the arts - grass roots - ticket buying support as well as private foundation support. At least when I lived there. The Philadelphia Orchestra is one of the finest and oldest in the world. Season tickets for the prime seats were handed down through families. <P>As I remember it there were two opera companies and Pennsylvania Ballet. One of the founders, if I am not mistaken, was Barbara Sondanato (sp?) who I had the great good fortune to be in class with once.<P>The city has a very old "aristocracy" of wealth which has a history of quiet but effective support for the arts. In the summer the orchestra performed at the Robin Hood Dell - a series of free concerts. On Saturday afternoons there were free concerts for the children in the summer - which I remember with great joy.<P>The city also profits from being on the "tour path" of Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington DC. There has however, been a great change in demographics with the center city population shrinking and changing, which could very well have effected how the arts are presently supported.<P>It was not unusual for Philadelphians that I knew to speak with great knowledge and intimacy of members of the Philadelphia orchestra - discussing minutia (also spelled minutiae) of performance and facility of play. We lived next door to the first violist (I have a delightful story about that if anyone is interested) and up the street lived the first flautist. <P>My husband's brother and his wife travel regularly back to Philadelphia from Florida (where they moved several years ago) for both the orchestra and ballet seasons. <P>It would be interesting to know if things have changed and if the Pennsylvania Ballet receives the same type of support as the orchestra.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 11:35 pm 

From the first article linked in: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Well, it won't be a "Flashdance" or sexy approach<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>THAT is SO good to hear.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2001 10:08 am 

From the Philadelphia Daily News: A grant for a new ad campaign for the Pennsylvania Ballet Company:<P><B>PENNSYLVANIA BALLET STRESSING ITS ATHLETIC POINTE</B><P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Just as cartoons still portray portly opera heroines in full Wagnerian metal battle dress, stereotypes are tough to change. But though classic ballets like "Swan Lake" are part of the repertory, most of a dancer's season involves non-classic interpretations requiring youthful athleticism, rhythmic freedom and imaginative new motions.<P>That's why the Pennsylvania Ballet, thanks to a $537,883, three-year grant from the William Penn Foundation, is trying to combat that too-formal perception with a new campaign. Besides a new logo, striking new black-and-white visual images will be launched next month for television, transit stops, outdoor locations and publications.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><A HREF="http://dailynews.philly.com/content/daily_news/2001/03/14/features/LOGO14.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>MORE...</B></A><P><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited March 14, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:17 pm 

Quote:
Cleveland's boosters draw in arts

Carolyn Jack
Cleveland Plain Dealer Arts Reporter

People at the first Arts Summit last spring said it over and over: Cleveland culture needs better marketing. more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:05 am 

A very interesting piece by Jen Graves in the Tacoma News Tribune that includes considerable discussion about a recent ad campaign for Pacific Northwest Ballet's "Merry Widow."
http://www.thenewstribune.com/ae/story/ ... 1031c.html

Profile E-mail