public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: SF Ballet's New, Sexy Ad Campaign
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 11:37 am 

If anyone is interested, the subject of nudity was discussed in these threads:

<a href=http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000008 target=_blank>Nudity in Dance</a>

<a href=http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000187 target=_blank>Nudity, repentence, and Alvin Erasga Tolentino</a>

And then, we also had this thread:

<a href=http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000248 target=_blank>Special dance underwear</a>

Is no subject beyond the criticaldance.com forum...

<small>[ 08-11-2002, 17:49: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 2:36 pm 

Silly me - I have always found the ballet sexy - even in full Swan Lake regalia. I even find the pas de deux in Theme and Variations sexy.<P>Nudity in dance doesn't bother me at all if it is done for true artistic reasons - as Wordfox says above - not to just cover up the paucity of the choreography. <P>As for the ad campaign - why not? As long as it is truth in advertisement - that is the dance being done and that is the costuming (or lack thereof) being used.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:13 pm 

Gee Basheva, I always found dance an ESCAPE from nudity and sex.<P>There is nudity in every magazine. On every TV show. On every beach (or pretty dang near). And you can always find a "handy helper" for show and tell, if you are so inclined. <P>I kinda LIKE the idea of the "private parts" being air brushed by your mind. So that you are just noticing "sensuality" (which I hardly equate with sexuality. You have LOTS of "senses").<P>I HATE feeling like I was THRUST into someone elses bedroom, or their own personal "therapy" for that matter.<P>Lord knows we are surrounded by the more "base" things in life everyday. And in every media forum we have MULTIPLE number of "experts" advising us how to "deal with stuff".<BR>

'God grant you all your desires and accept my own hearty thanks for all your attention to me. Although indeed, those attentions have tried me more than death can now terrify me.'<P>Lady Jane Grey<BR>Wife of Guildford, Lord Dudley King Consort<BR>Daughter of Henry Grey Marquis of Dorset, Duke of Suffolk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 3:59 am 

JaneGrey said:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I HATE feeling like I was THRUST into someone elses bedroom, or their own personal "therapy" for that matter.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's a perfectly acceptable view. But for me it would seem to preclude much of the work of Rodin and Munch respectively - two of the artists I admire the most. In dance it would rule out most of MacMillan's output under one or other of the two exclusions. Thus, it's not a selection process I could ever follow. <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited February 14, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 6:23 am 

Well, as for me - I would say - if you don't like the content, don't go and see it.<P>But that shouldn't affect the rights of others to go and see it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 7:54 am 

Basheva:<P>Oh anybody can/should go see whatever they want. I just hope that they continue to offer some alternative stuff for those of us that aren't interested in it. Or are made uncomfortable by it.<P>And it's VERY considerate of them to "tell you what to expect".<P>About 9 years ago, I went to the annual spring performance of a local modern/jazz school here. It was all "OK" until the very end. They brought in two guest artists that were performing at the Center for the Arts that week, to "close the program".<P>That is the NEAREST (and it was a small theatre. 325 seats) I have ever been to witnessing "the act" right in front of me.<P>I wanted to bolt, and luckily my mother restrained my dad from doing just that, and embarrassing us all.<P><BR>Stuart:<P>Sure, all that stuff just boils down to "personality types". What you are interested in, and what you feel comfortable with.<P>I've walked away from conversations in offices where girls/guys were giving graphic details of "the night before". There are just somethings I'm not interested in knowing about other people. I'd surely hate to "witness it".<P>On ONE occassion I DID tell a guy in my livingroom that he needed to go somewhere else to "talk about that stuff" since it was his WIFE he was discussing with my husband and his friends. Not some girl he picked up off a bar stool Image I just had no interest in "visualizing" her that way.<p>[This message has been edited by JaneGrey (edited February 14, 2001).]

'God grant you all your desires and accept my own hearty thanks for all your attention to me. Although indeed, those attentions have tried me more than death can now terrify me.'<P>Lady Jane Grey<BR>Wife of Guildford, Lord Dudley King Consort<BR>Daughter of Henry Grey Marquis of Dorset, Duke of Suffolk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2001 6:51 am 

I see what you mean JaneGrey, but I feel that I have to point out that your two examples refer to everyday 'kiss (or whatever) and tell' exchanges as opposed to the 'High Art' of Rodin or MacMillan in work tackling sexual themes. The interesting thing for me is that sexuality and politics have been the inspiration for great works of art. The fact that treatments can be like 'Bay Watch' or worse does not invalidate these themes as sources for great artists.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2001 5:46 pm 

Well Stuart, sure. That sounded "cheap" to me when I heard them. Low brow kind of stuff for sure. But you would THINK sometimes that they are relating some "religious experience" that they had.<P>Maybe it has something to do with "getting old" Stuart. <P>I MUCH prefer to think that Giselle died because a very innocent "trust" was broken.<P>NOT because she slept with the guy and then he "blew her off his sleeve like a fly".<P>It's not HALF as tragic or meaningful then.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2001 7:03 am 

Here is a link to such a campaign being run by the Pennsylvania Ballet - posted in the Ballet Forum on February 23rd:

<A HREF=http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000510 target=_blank>Pennsylvania Ballet</A>

<small>[ 08-11-2002, 17:50: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2001 6:00 pm 

I bet you 90% of the people who read this ad have no idea what the word "vertiginous" means. Thumbs down from me! I would share the ad campaign I created for the National Ballet of Heaven but it would make me puke to see some ad agency on Earth steal it. Some copywriters plagiarize other people’s work. It’s a sad, sad world. <P>------------------<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2001 6:24 pm 

SFB's ad campaign continues. This is what appears under "Prodigal Son":<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Dancing. Drinking. Debauchery. A Bible Story.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited March 04, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2001 6:42 pm 

To think copywriters actually get paid for penning the above.<P>------------------<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2001 9:51 pm 

Petipa, how is that last one being taken in heaven, in terms of using god's book in reference to debauchery?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2001 6:46 pm 

Basically, God thinks its boring. He hopes San Francisco Ballet didn't squander too much $$$ on the campaign.<P>------------------<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2001 5:58 pm 

And there's more:<P><BR> Image <BR>The caption reads: "Once upon a time, wake-up calls were much more intimate."<P><BR> Image <BR>The caption reads: "No one dreams of sleeping alone."<P><BR>Clever? Or cheesy?<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited April 01, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next