public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SF Ballet's New, Sexy Ad Campaign
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2001 8:20 am 

Cheesy and unbelievable, some of the dancers that they chose to photograph in these 'sexy' poses look uncomfortable with the opposite sex. If they want to titilate, put 2 guys in the back of the convertible. INMHO these adds are rather silly, and have nothing to do with ballet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2001 11:37 am 

Card #1 - Not even as interesting as a romance novel cover. That's pretty dull.<P>Card #2 - Huh? Does anyone dream about sleeping anyway? In their pointe shoes no less? Those arms are silly and don't really add anything to the image.<P>The first two were better, clearer in concept and more intruiging from a design perspective.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2001 11:52 am 

The question that has to be asked: Is the ad campaign getting the attention of new audiences without insulting the company's loyal fans?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2001 7:17 pm 

Just as you thought it was safe, here's SFB's ad for the upcoming Program 7 (makes you wonder what they will do for Program 8... Program 8 is danced by Paris Opera Ballet). The caption, promoting Mark Morris' work, reads: "PACIFIC -- Where it's easy to get swept away."<P> Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2001 8:10 pm 

I like the photos themselves (dancer on the bed), they seem kind of innovative for a ballet company. An interesting "update" of a classic, perhaps.<p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited April 16, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 3:02 am 

This from the Sarasota Herald Tribune:<P>"Candidate for the worst opera company slogan. . . the Baltimore Opera actually uses:<P>'Opera: it's better than you think! It has to be!'"<P>------------------<BR>Jeffrey E. Salzberg, Lighting Designer<P>"Shang-a-lang, feel the <I>sturm und drang</I> in the air!"<P>Online portfolio: <A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg</A> <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2001 7:43 am 

And here's the ad for "Prodigal Son." Note the backdrop...<P> Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2001 1:10 pm 

My first comment on that poster is the people look funny - her foot's poking off funny, why's she hanging on him like that, and what's with that thing on her head? <P>As for the rest of it - The words are ok, I get the idea of trying to show things as racy and not totally out of date, though I do wonder if people might be disappointed once they get to the show and it's still "just ballet". <P>I would have preferred a less obvious background - one that had some of the lights and dirty glitz so you kinda got the idea, but without the actual word "Strip". Having recently read Lynn Garafola's article "Diaghilev's Cultivated Audience" I was struck by Astruc's employing "ballet’s traditional association with sexual impropriety” as a way to build the Ballet Russes audience, and am reminded of that quote by this poster.<p>[This message has been edited by Priscilla (edited April 28, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2001 4:39 pm 

Blair Tindall tackles this subject:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Sexy ads working for ballet</B><P>Blair Tindall, Contra Costa Times<P>I was flabbergasted the first time I saw one of the new San Francisco Ballet ads on a passing bus. Though the sight of dancers Lucia Lacarra and Stephen Legate at Geary and 32nd made me nearly run a red light, their steamy pose and the ad's tag line, "Black Cake -- White is for virgins" had me seeing red.<P>Sex sells -- but should it be selling ballet?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.contracostatimes.com/timeout/stories_feattop/x29commentary_20010429.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 6:13 am 

The company is now revamping its web site:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>San Francisco Ballet Taps 415 to Revitalize Web Site<P>Nando Media <P>San Francisco Ballet Taps 415 to Revitalize Web Site <P>SAN FRANCISCO, July 30 (Jul 30, 2001 9:18:30 EST) -- 415, Inc. (www.415.com), an interactive design firm headquartered in San Francisco, California, today announced that it has been selected to redesign the Web site for the San Francisco Ballet (www.sfballet.org), one of the world's premier dance companies.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://archive.nandotimes.com/newsroom/prn/archive/data/073001/prn3929.html target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 5:23 pm 

From AdWeek.com:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Stanat said the goal for the sfballet.org project is to "crank up the [site's] functionality a notch, rather than adding on a lot of interactive bells and whistles."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/bpiaw/20010731/ad/_b_h1_415_wins_2_interactive_accounts_h1_b__1.html target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail