public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bad News at SF Opera
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:21 pm 

Not strictly dance but definitely related to basic arts management. When I worked there in the late '90's I was struck buy the wanton waste and bad management at the company. Looks like it has finally bit them in the butt...

Quote:
Tenor of the times: S.F. Opera cuts back
Performances to be slashed 25% over next 3 years to save money

Joshua Kosman, Chronicle Music Critic

Beginning with the 2005-06 season, the company will stage about 65 performances a year spread over nine productions, according to general director Pamela Rosenberg. That is down from the 88 performances of 11 or 12 productions that has been the rule for the past decade.

The goal is to shrink the annual operating budget from around $60 million to $45 million. The Opera had a deficit of $7.6 million for the 2001-02 season and is predicting a $9.2 million shortfall this year.
more...

Of course, Ms. Rosenburg makes it sound like it is the fault of San Francisco, but really I think the fault lies only with themselves.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bad News at SF Opera
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:53 pm 

Quote:
S.F. Opera cutting back performances

ASSOCIATED PRESS, in the San Jose Mercury News

The deficit-ridden San Francisco Opera will reduce the number of its performances during the next three years in an effort to shrink the annual operating budget from around $60 million to $45 million.
<a href=http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/5064584.htm target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:21 pm 

Quote:
"This city is just not able financially to support a jumbo jet," Rosenberg said. "We still think we can be a fabulous opera company. The amount we'll be producing is less, but we'll be doing that optimally."
An intersting comment on so many levels. Certainly their subscriber/single ticket and support base extends beyond the City of SF?

I'm still fuming about the safety fines they had to pay. It's difficult to feel any sympathy with that kind of wreckless attitude.

D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:37 pm 

I'm with you there David. What did I say above about bad management. Those OSHA fines are another symptom of it. But don't get me started about the problems I encountered working over there. I'd type my hands into carpal-tunnel syndrome.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:18 am 

The same AP story above also appeared in the Ogden Standard Examiner. I guess it's big news outside California as well...

&nbsp

[Azlan notes: This thread has been combined with <a href=http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000438>San Francisco Bay Area Financial Situation</a>]

<small>[ 09 February 2003, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:05 am 

Quote:
S.F. Opera costume director leaving

David Wiegand
SF Chronicle

The San Francisco Opera has announced that longtime costume director Jenny Green will leave the company on July 6 after a 21-year career there. <a href=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/06/14/DD252673.DTL target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:57 pm 

The Chronicle have started the process to find a General Director to replace Pamela Rosenberg:

<a href=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/08/04/DDG4J81KNE1.DTL target=_blank>S.F. Opera creates committee to find new director</a>
David Wiegand, SF Chronicle

Profile E-mail