public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: $'s
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2000 7:25 am 

It's Saturday. I'm sitting in my office, babysitting the studios so that a composer can watch our most recent creation on video and some students can rehearse a project.<P>I'm also working on some cash flow statements, and trying to figure out how to balance a certain line item. I'm desperately looking to squeeze $300-$500 out of nothing so the company can replace a broken video camera that we desperately need for rehearsal purposes.<P>I just got frustrated not being able to figure this out, and decided to check news headlines to see if we know who the next US President will be.<P>And I found this:<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Army took an important step Friday toward transforming itself for future conflicts, announcing the award of a $4 billion contract for new wheeled combat vehicles. At the same time, it acknowledged that plans for fielding the new vehicles with infantry units will be delayed by more than a year. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>I think my number may not be entirely right, but I believe we just approved an INCREASE for the NEA, so it's <B>total</B> operating budget is now about 98 million dollars or so.<P>98 million for the arts in the US. I can't find money for ONE video camera. US military gave out 4 billion dollar contract for new vehicles.<P>What am I doing here?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: $'s
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2000 9:18 am 

My memory is also tha the NEA budget seems to be about $100m. For comparison, the Arts Council of England and Wales (Scotland is separate) gave out grants directly or through Regional Arts boards of $300m last year plus Lottery grants of $250m. Funding on the Continent is generally higher.<P>However, because there is so little corporate sponsorship here, I suspect that your opposite numbers here will be doing the same sort of soul searching as you BabsLight.<P>Shall we shift this discussion to Backstage? <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited November 19, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2000 7:05 pm 

I never really thought of funding as a technical or production issue, but if that's the best place for it, sure, why not!<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2000 3:03 pm 

I hear you Babslight, about funding "issues". Discouraging, to put it mildly. Maybe we should all move to Canada or England or wherever they might appreciate us artists more. There would probably be other problems there, though. LIke what, I can't think of right offhand.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 7:03 pm 

Mmmmm, don't move to Canada. Unless of course you wish to join the ranks of the starving artist's society. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2000 4:57 am 

Babs,<P>a thought: I recently got a technology grant for a company from Fiedelty Investment CO.If there is a branch office in your area they gave $15,000 for a Pro digital camera, editing system,and macG3 with software & color printer. They are interested in technology!! for the arts one of the few out there.<BR>Good Luck!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2000 5:56 am 

DT, thanks for that info!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2000 12:51 am 

Generosity gap - <P><A HREF="Http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=000148269364269&rtmo=gjfn7Vgu&atmo=99999999&pg=/et/00/12/6/banorm06.html" TARGET=_blank><B>Norman Lebrecht</B></A> reports on donations to the arts in Europe and America.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 7:28 am 

News about NYFA's funding deadline for dance:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Dance Funding Deadline Approaching</B><P><A HREF="http://www.backstage.com" TARGET=_blank>Backstage.com</A><P>Applications are being accepted for the third grant cycle of the New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA) BUILD program, which will award approximately $100,000 to New York City-based dance companies with small and mid-sized budgets.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/bpibs/20010209/en/_b_h1_dance_funding_deadline_approaching_h1_b__1.html" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B><p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited February 10, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 9:51 am 

I posted this in Modern Dance because a modern dance company is the only dance company that I could see was getting any of the funding........

Rockefeller Grant for Trisha Brown Dance Company

<small>[ 08-11-2002, 18:13: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2001 11:38 am 

Here is a list of 35 arts groups set to receive funds from the National Endowment for the Arts in the Chicago area - the Joffrey Ballet is among them:<P><A HREF="http://www.suntimes.com/output/show/nea11.html" TARGET=_blank>CHICAGO ARTS GROUPS TO RECEIVE NEA FUNDS</A><P><A HREF="http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/ae/dance/792697" TARGET=_blank>NEA FUNDS FOR HOUSTON BALLET'S FIREBIRD PRODUCTION]</A><P><BR>And more to the Boston area including Bill T. Jones and Dance Umbrella Boston:<P><A HREF="http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/011/living/NEA_awards_32_grants_to_Mass_organizations+.shtml" TARGET=_blank>32 NEA GRANTS TO MASSACHUSETTS ARTS</A><P><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited January 11, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2001 12:07 pm 

Here are the NEA awards to Washington State arts organizations, as reported by the Seattle P-I:<BR> <A HREF="http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/visualart/nea11.shtml" TARGET=_blank>http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/visualart/nea11.shtml</A> <P>The dance entries are:<P>$30K to On the Boards for residencies and a new production festival;<BR>$50K to Pacific Northwest Ballet to help fund world premieres and to acquire five ballets new to the repertoire;<BR>$10K to Pat Graney Dance;<BR>$5K to 33 Fainting Spells<P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Francis Timlin (edited January 11, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2001 5:59 am 

'NEH Gets Gift Of $2.5 Million Funds to Aid Regional Centers,' by Jacqueline Trescott for The Washington Post. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The effort to establish a network of regional humanities centers under the National Endowment for the Humanities received a considerable boost yesterday with a $2.5 million gift from the Knight Foundation.<P>The gift is the single largest donation given to the NEH by a private-sector organization, a form of collaboration that Congress has encouraged the federal agency to pursue.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>A generous donation, but is this a way forward for the NEA as well? <BR> <A HREF="http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40232-2001Mar21.html" TARGET=_blank>http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40232-2001Mar21.html</A> <BR>

Profile E-mail