public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dance Company Funding
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 1999 1:04 pm 

While not an issue for the SFBs or ABTs of the world, for most other companies in America, funding is the first, last and all consuming issue that must be addressed. This may be difficult for some to speak openly about in areas that have a lot of different companies fighting for the same dollar such as San Fran, but candor may help the good survive and focus the art dollar.<P>One of the main issues we have here in Miami is the difficulty in getting "new" Americans to understand that state funding in almost non-existent. As a transplanted Canadian, I was and still continue to be shocked at the absence of gov't funding.<P>I hope we can brainstorm together to the betterment of all of the organisations we support.<P>SO ... what have you been to, what works, what doesn't

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dance Company Funding
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 1999 4:18 pm 

I think funding is a problem even for established dance companies in big cities. Both the New York and San Francisco companies have limited their staffs due to lack of funding.<P>I cannot even imagine how smaller companies deal with this problem.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 1999 7:22 pm 

Shag,<P>How much of a Board's work do you think is spent on fundraising?<P>I hear it can be a lot of work for a ballet company where sets and costumes can be very costly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2000 7:53 am 

shag, here is another thread that continues this discussion:

http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000012

<small>[ 08-11-2002, 18:25: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2000 3:15 am 

One of the prime functions of a board member is to raise money, but that's pretty much limited to individual donations by the members and their acquaintances.<P>For organized fundraising campaigns as well as grant proposals to companies, foundations, and government agencies, a not-for-profit organization of any size will have a full-time development staff.<BR><P>------------------<BR>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=<BR>Jeffrey E. Salzberg,<BR>Lighting Designer<BR>NEW URL: <A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg<BR>" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg<BR></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2000 4:17 am 

The situation is clearly very different in the US from Europe where most successful dance companies, both small and large, are heavily dependent on local, regional or national state entities. For instance, taking these numbers as illustrative rather than exact, in the Uk the major companies receive about 30-40% of their income from state subsidies; POB is something like 60 odd %; and i came across a Norwegian modern dance company which received 95% of its income from the State. Yes, 95%.<P>As these figures show the UK is somewhere between the US and the Northern European experience, as in so many spheres of activity. Most European companies also get sponsorship from businesses if they can. For instance Northern Ballet Theatre has established an excellent link with the Halifax Bank (ex Building Society) which may be the most remunerative link with a particular business for any UK dance comapany. <P>A lot of London businesses like to entertain at the ROH. My old company NatWest Bank had two corporate memberships at the ROH which cost £25,000 pa each. In general, UK comapanies are slowly getting used to the idea of commercial sponsorship. On private sponsorship, this is generally tiny, except for the RB which has some private sponsors with very deep pockets. WE have just seen a change in the tax arrangements in the UK to bring us more in line with the US, which may act to help matters, but it will take some time clearly.<P>The advantage of the UK system comapred wth the US experience is that the Arts Council of England and Wales, the main source of finance with its regional relatives, can encourage exciting, but unknown companies to develop.<P>This is all a bit rambling, but my excuse is that it is a big subject. i think I'll shut-up now and respond to any particular questions.<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited 04-02-2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2000 8:19 pm 

Well, salzberg, I think you may be right about board members raising money by giving their own. It's almost like people giving money to be in a special elite club. But Shag may differ on this point. I think he's one of those who does a lot of work in addition to giving money.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2000 12:12 pm 

An article about the financial problems of ENB, which are going to force the abandonment of plans for any new programming. This is serious as ENB do so little new work as it is. <BR> <A HREF="http://www.sunday-times.co.uk:80/news/pages/sti/2000/09/03/stinwenws02018.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sunday-times.co.uk:80/news/pages/sti/2000/09/03/stinwenws02018.html</A>

Profile E-mail