public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ballet in Ohio after SJCB Closure
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2000 4:55 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The collapse of Cleveland San Jose Ballet continues to send shock waves through the dance community - - - local institutions will also be affected by the disastrous fate of Northeast Ohio's only world-class dance troupe. - - -<P>Alone and uncertain, Ohio Ballet has a different dilemma. The Akron-based company used to publicize itself as "the other ballet." Now it is in the <I>unenviable position of being "the only ballet."</I><P>During the long tenure of founding artistic director Heinz Poll, the polished little chamber company appealed mostly to audiences who preferred contemporary dance to classical ballet. <P>The hard-core dance fans who appreciated Cleveland San Jose's repertory programs might have been lured to Poll's productions.<P>But the uncompromising artistic director had nothing to offer patrons interested in lavish productions of full-length story ballets.<P>Last year when Poll retired and former Cleveland Ballet dancer Jeffrey Graham Hughes succeeded him, the company's artistic standards took a dramatic plunge. <P>At the end of the season, the dancers spoke out against Hughes, and some of them lost their jobs when the board of trustees supported its chosen leader.<P>If anything good is to rise from the ashes of the ballet that was Nahat's baby, it might be Cleveland School of Dance, the new professional ballet school that will open in November under the direction of Gladisa Guadalupe. <P>She danced with Cleveland Ballet before joining the faculty of the company school and has the charisma, talent and charm to attract loyal followers and effectively lead a new endeavor.<P>Nine years ago when Cleveland Ballet was already coping with financial woes, she was approached by three anonymous backers who offered to fund a new school. Because of her dedication to Nahat, she turned them down. But when the ballet folded, she tearfully accepted the offer, which had never been withdrawn.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <A HREF="http://www.cleveland.com:80/entertainment/index.ssf?/entertainment/pd/e24dance.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.cleveland.com:80/entertainment/<BR>index.ssf?/entertainment/pd/e24dance.html</A> <P>my only comment here would be: good heavens! 'UNenviable' position of being the only ballet company (as italicised by me, above) - surely this is a gift from god! wouldn't ANY dance company want to be the only one in town!?!<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited December 04, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ballet in Ohio after SJCB Closure
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2000 5:01 pm 

Beacon Journal's music critic, Elaine Guregian: <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Friday night at the sparsely attended Akron Civic Theatre, Ohio Ballet got off to a schizophrenic start for its second subscription season under artistic director Jeffrey Graham Hughes. - - -<P> While Poll's works should always have a place in this company's repertoire, the group also needs to start developing an identity under Jeffrey Hughes. So far, that process has been awkward. - - - - <P>While the dancing sometimes looked ragged, there is plenty of talent in the group, both among veterans and newcomers. - - - -The critical issue is whether in the rest of the season Hughes will give these dancers the quality of material and the leadership that Ohio Ballet deserves.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.ohio.com:80/bj/news/docs/032049.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ohio.com:80/bj/news/docs/032049.htm</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 5:14 pm 

more from wilma salisbury on this:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf?/entertainment/pd/e05dance.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index<BR>.ssf?/entertainment/pd/e05dance.html</A> <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>DanceCleveland, too, has been "barraged with<BR> phone calls from ballet companies that want to be<BR> presented in Cleveland," said Executive Director<BR> Tom Ward. "DanceCleveland is known as a<BR> modern and contemporary dance presenter.<BR> Currently, we don't present ballet. But I want to do<BR> what I can to fill the void if our board deems it<BR> appropriate, feasible or desired."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited December 04, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 5:10 pm 

A hard-hitting story by Audrey S. Chapman:<P><B><A HREF="http://www.clevescene.com/issues/2000-11-02/feature.html/page1.html" TARGET=_blank>Danced to Death</A></B><BR><I>Debt and denial killed the ballet.<BR>And San Jose patiently waited<BR>to collect the remains</I><BR>By Audrey S. Chapman, Cleveland Scene

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 9:19 pm 

More explosive than hard-hitting I'd say. Reading the article, I wondered whether it had been screened by the publisher's lawyers. Hardly anyone comes out well, but some of the leading figures associated with the new Company are crucified.<P>Given our discussions elesewhere on the Board, it's interesting that 'The Nutcracker' plays such an important role in the saga, but not quite important enough. <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 8:00 am 

Definitely a "must read" piece. Thank you for finding it and linking it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 9:57 am 

What an amazing article. It certainly helps explain to me a number of things that I thought were highly suspicious and "convenient". Goodness. And so sad.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 11:18 am 

That was simply one of the best pieces of arts journalism I have ever read, if factually accurate.<P>Let's use what is unique about a web based forum and hear the counterpoint, if one exists.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 4:41 pm 

I was surprised to see "Danced to Death" posted, particularly as it is so far past is original publication date. One writer posed the question of its authenticity and I can state clearly that most of this is pure fiction. I am one of the principals mentioned in the article, and I know quite a bit about the history of htis company. The author's conspiracy concept is laughable at best, malicious at worst. This paper is regularly sued for slander, but counts on most to get too tired to pursue them. I have a solid case, but they are right, it isn't worth the effort. <P>Ballet San Jose Silicon Valley is a victim too, but it is not trying to abandon our dancers and our audience just because our former partner couldn't pull it out. That doesn't seem a cirme to me, but honest effort doesn't sell papers the way a manufactured scandal can. Does anyone honestly believe the dance world is capable of these James Bond type tactics. It makes a good read, but don't be deceived to think it anything but fiction.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 5:06 pm 

Andrew, thank you for your post. I wondered about the integrity of the article and had intended to request a response from Ballet San Jose. I'm glad you found the thread.<P>I was shown the article only recently by someone from the dance community. The reason I posted a link to it was because it was being circulated around and I felt it had to be addressed before rumors generated by it went rampant.<P>BTW, "merde" on your Nutcracker, even though you don't need it, judging from all the reviews coming in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2001 8:25 am 

Image <BR><fontsize=1>Karen Gabay, Photo by Bob Shomler</fontsize><P>A new company in Ohio?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Gabay, Rodriguez look to form ensemble</B><P>WILMA SALISBURY, Cleveland Plain Dealer<P>Karen Gabay and Raymond Rodriguez were the darlings of Cleveland Ballet for nearly 20 years. When the company, later named Cleveland San Jose Ballet, collapsed last fall on the eve of its 25th anniversary, the adored partners headed West to join the new Ballet San Jose Silicon Valley, the phoenix that rose from the ashes of the financially ruined Cleveland company. <P>Although Gabay and Rodriguez were grateful for the opportunity to continue working with artistic director Dennis Nahat, they left their hearts in Cleveland and they kept their homes in Lakewood. Now they are back in town to perform summer concerts and explore the feasibility of launching a new ballet company.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.cleveland.com/artsandevents/plaindealer/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/entertainment/9926838181727596.xml" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2001 8:28 am 

Also, visit this thread for a related story on the dancers at Ballet San Jose:

<a href=http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000129 target=_blank>Creation of San Jose Ballet</a>

And don't forget this thread:

<a href=http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000130 target=_blank>San Jose Cleveland Ballet On Brink of Closing</a>

And this interview:

<a href=../../../interviews/kgabay991104.html target=_blank>An Interview with Karen Gabay</a>

<small>[ 08-11-2002, 17:40: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 9:41 am 

Karen was amazing as a youngster, and seems to have matured into an amazing adult. <P>My God! Maybe there IS hope for the dance world.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 2:48 pm 

This just confirms my belief that if in the dance world you want something, you have to create it yourself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 3:28 pm 

Karen Gabay is one of the better dancers at San Jose. I have to say however that I have seen her dance better in the past. It is good that she knows her limits and is open to challenges offered by contemporary dance. I believe she also designs costumes. I really do hope she succeeds in developing an ensemble in Ohio. She sounds like she would make a capable director.<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited July 22, 2001).]

Profile E-mail