public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Venues from Hell
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 8:59 pm 

Wordfox,<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>always insert a Board member or other third party between yourself and any potential conflict. In that way, you remain a neutral party that can later come in to offer compromises or solutions; rather than be the one to instigate the conflict.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's a page out of my own rulebook! Well, I don't always put myself in the neutral position (I'm too much in the thick of things) but I always make sure there is someone else who is. Having Stuart for example as co-director of Critical-Dance helps a lot. We sometimes have to referee situations within and without and it's best one of us keeps a little distance just in case. I also apply this rule at the firms and companies I'm associated with.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 11:00 am 

Wordfox, I read, reread and read again your post. There are so many good lessons in it that I archived it for my own use. Thank you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 4:18 pm 

Azlan:<P>Thanks. I just wish I could go back and apply that lesson (long in the learning) to many earlier instances I encountered before I became the wise old fox. (Just a figure of speech - that last) ((Really))

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2001 11:00 am 

Is this really someone who made a difference in the right way?

Quote:
THE ARTS
Cultural czar leaves Walnut Creek an art haven

Peggy Spear, SF Chronicle

Gary Schaub is the kind of guy who keeps the minutes of the city arts commission meetings -- even all the way back to 1974. That first one, he says, was a "doozy."

Schaub, 60, is retiring this month from his job as director of community and cultural services for Walnut Creek -- 27 years and 271 arts commission meetings after coming on board. Schaub presided over the planning, fund- raising, building and nurturing of the Dean Lesher Regional Center for the Arts, an arts center that has become a model for communities throughout the United States.
<a href=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/09/14/CC176564.DTL target=_blank>More</a>

[This link has expired]

<small>[ 08-19-2002, 23:16: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2001 1:49 pm 

Edit

Last edited by DavidH on Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2001 10:15 am 

Is there any word on who will replace him?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2001 10:10 pm 

Not sure who will replace him. But I have received some messages echoing your sentiments, DavidH...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:14 am 

I guess they never learned the lessons from the last time. The worst thing the city and the community can do right now is to sweep this under the rug. Everything has to be exposed so that the mistakes are not repeated for the sake of the community:

Quote:
Misconduct at Lesher Center?

Claims shake up arts center

By Dogen Hannah and Theresa Harrington
CONTRA COSTA TIMES

WALNUT CREEK - City officials and the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office are awaiting results of an investigation into allegations of mismanagement at the Dean Lesher Regional Center for the Arts. <a href=http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/content_syndication/local_news/7988511.htm target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:29 am 

Remember this topic? Well here's an update, long overdue I might add:

Quote:
The unprecedented inquiry into claims of personnel and financial misconduct under the leadership of center general manager Scott Denison already has prompted city officials to alter or reconsider some practices.
Misconduct at Lesher Center?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:49 pm 

I notice a number of discrepancies and familiar patterns in the public statements. Very interesting.

From experience, I can note that sometimes the crimes and ethics violations committed by the investigating bodies can equal that of the original perpretators. For example, there was a case many years ago, in which financial irregularities were investigated by an independent consultant under the oversight of first a city and then a county attorney. Given the scale of embarrassment, the attorneys considered it wise to limit the results of the investigation and coerced the independent consultant, whose fee they were paying and who had local ties to the community, to omit certain facts from the report such that a reprimand was still in order but falling short of a prison sentence for the accused. This was a misguided attempt at salvaging community pride.

Picking up on various discrepancies that I noted, a civilian watchdog group alerted state and federal authorities. The result was that the independent consultant served a prison sentence for conspiracy to obstruct justice, which was later reduced. A number of city officials were also arraigned but escaped with severe fines when they finally cooperated with authorities.

I strongly urge the independent accountant, consulting attorney, and the city and county officials adopt a policy of complete honesty. If it were to be found, just as a wild example, that a federal fireams law was violated and that officials attempted to cover it up, there is enough legitimate reasons for the case to be referred to higher authorities by ordinary citizens in which case all those involved, especially the public officials, may face severe fines and prison sentences. Years of resentment can lead to many willing witnesses. All it takes is one citizen to file a complaint to the state and one witness to come forward.

Honesty as they say is the best policy.

&nbsp

[I copied the last couple topics into a new topic: SF Bay Area Theater Under Criminal Investigation

<small>[ 22 April 2004, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:14 pm 

On the front page of today's Contra Costa Times:

Lesher Center Manager Put on Leave after Audit

Quote:
City officials have suspended Dean Lesher Regional Center for the Arts General Manager Scott Denison for four weeks after discovering indications of fraud, abuse and waste at the downtown facility.
Regarding his four week suspension, he's off next week then:

Quote:
At the city's request, he will serve the rest sometime later, said Gary Pokorny, the city's director of arts, recreation and community services.
I'm amazed and shocked that the City of Walnut Creek is so cavalier in regard to his punishment. A week off here, a week off there. Perhaps the court system in this country should adopt the same attitude. My goodness...........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:28 pm 

Trixie, the topic has been moved here:

Theater Investigated -- Director Suspended

[Azlan adds later: I've consolidated the last couple of posts into the new topic.]

<small>[ 24 April 2004, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail