public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Venues from Hell
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2001 9:47 pm 

How about the law people in the forum? Shag, Leigh, Ken? Anyone of you want to answer Cyman's question?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2001 3:11 pm 

I think that artists attitude comment is interesting however offending it may be to some. I found the comment that the "Showstoppers" type dance competitions were the worst. Don't get me started on dance competitions in general, but specifically these are some of the dance world's worst attitudes. They feel they are entitled to trash a place because they are spending so much money to attend the competition. I have found that events like this where there is no real art being made are the worst tenants in a venue. This is probably an entirely different thread, but I had to say it just to defend the stringent rules at the venue.<P>As for the conflict of interest issue, it concerns me greatly. I would love to see this guy demoted because of it and see a professional administrator in this position, instead of a frustrated actor/director who happened to talk his way into the job. This may also link back to what I was saying in the Backstage forum about hiring people to do a job who actually do it as a profession, not a fallback.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2001 4:07 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Don't get me started on dance competitions in general, but specifically these are some of the dance world's worst attitudes. They feel they are entitled to trash a place because they are spending so much money to attend the competition.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It's mostly a case of too many kids with too little adult supervision.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 1:35 am 

Well, this is (obviously) an issue that many of use care deeply about.<P>Let's take a minute now to stop, breathe, and remember that here on CriticalDance, our tradition is to attack the issue, not the person.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 10:55 am 

Thanks, Salzberg.<P>Also, just a word to say that Leigh tried to define "conflict of interest" and then felt he may just muddle it even more. Not so easy, is it...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 1:01 pm 

It would seem to me that each municipality or level of government, federal, state, county, city, township, etc., would have its definition somewhere within its codes of what constitutdes "conflict of interest".<P>So, it is possible that definition could change by the locality and government entity involved.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 1:57 pm 

Another interesting wrinkle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 5:00 pm 

Well here's part of something defining 'conflict of interest' I found on a google.com search.... I'll post the link when I figure out how to....<P>Definition: <BR>I define a conflict of interest as "a situation in which a person, such as a <BR>public official, an employee, or a professional, has a private or personal <BR>interest sufficient to appear to influence the objective exercise of his or <BR>her official duties."There are three key elements in this definition. First, there is a private or <BR>personal interest. Often this is a financial interest, but it could also be <BR>another sort of interest, say, to provide a special advantage to a spouse or <BR>child. Taken by themselves, there is nothing wrong with pursuing private or <BR>personal interests, for instance, changing jobs for more pay or helping your <BR>daughter improve her golf stroke.......<P>I promise I'll post the link soon. Azlan may be called to duty on this one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 5:33 pm 

Duty? What duty? I'm already only partially functioning due to all kinds of stress. Don't give me any more duties, please! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 5:41 am 

I copied this old link from our New and Renovated Venues thread in Backstage:<P><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/09/22/CC93200.DTL" TARGET=_blank>Man Behind the Scenes</A></B><BR><I>Lesher Center manager keeps busy as he guides center into second decade</I><BR>Peggy Spear, SF Chronicle

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 7:20 am 

I hope this works! <P>One definition of conflict of interest:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.ethics.ubc.ca/mcdonald/conflict.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ethics.ubc.ca/mcdonald/conflict.html</A> <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 9:15 pm 

Very good, Cyman. Bravo!<P>Now here is the bit that most intrigued me:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>It may take some skill and good judgment to recognizing that you are in a conflict of interest situation. This is because private and personal interests can cloud a person's objectivity. So it may be a lot easier to recognize when others are in a conflict, than when you are. This suggests that it may be useful to talk to a trusted colleague or friend when you are in doubt.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sounds very much like what I was advocating and what we practice here on Critical-Dance, doesn't it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 9:26 pm 

Ah, here is an example document from my alma mater that dictates a policy on conflict of interest (I thought I had seen something like this before; it took awhile for me to find it):<P><A HREF="http://www.stanford.edu/dept/DoR/rph/4-4.html" TARGET=_blank><B>Conflict of Commitment and Interest for Academic Staff (RPH 4.4)</B></A><BR>Stanford University Research Policy Handbook Document 4.4<P>The Stanford policy includes this interesting bit:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Conflicts of interest are common and practically unavoidable in a modern research university. Academic Staff should conduct their affairs so as to avoid or minimize such conflicts of interest, and must respond appropriately when conflicts of interest arise.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Granted that Stanford is very sophisticated about policies such as this, I wonder if the Regional Center for the Arts has something similar. Or perhaps the RCA falls under the jurisdiction of the City of Walnut, whom I hope has a policy handbook on conflicts of interest (I have been surprised before however -- some cities are just not that sophisticated).<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited May 24, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 4:05 pm 

Word (I hope you don't mind me calling you by your first name), if I have it right, you have responsibilities in scheduling acts for a few venues. Given your past associations with various companies, I would imagine that would place you in conflicts of interest often. Are there any standard policies at any of your venues in regards to possible conflicts of interest?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 8:22 am 

Azlan:<P>My current situation does not fall within the same realm as the situation being discussed. I arrange appearances for only one sponsor (the Festival for which I currently work), although I deal with about ten different venues and fifteen to twenty different attractions.<P>There are conflicts to be resolved, but they are more accurately described as personality and usage conflicts:<BR>1) Will we be thrown out of the theatre because the Tech. Dir. cannot get along with the theatre management?<BR>2) Will the particular church we chose for a concert accept and approve the music that is scheduled to be performed there?<BR>3) Can the hours chosen/preferred by the performing artists actually be fit into the daily schedule of the venue, tech. crew, volunteers, etc?<BR>4) Will the artists make demands on the venue personnel which are deemed inappropriate and ruin our relationship with said venue for any future use?<P>As most of our venues are not traditional performing sites, we do not have to deal with too much in the way of ethical/legal intricacies of this issue. (This MAY change very soon, as I will be relocating to take over the development/management of a small cultural arts center in a reasonably small community.)<P>There is no doubt that in ANY situation, a manager will find a greater affinity for some groups over others. This may result from the personalities of those with whom you work, the ease of working with one group over another, the ways in which they make your life easier, and more.<P>Having a better working relationship with one group over another does not, in itself, constitute a legal or ethical conflict of interest. Neither does having a professional relationship with another group, although there could be a perception of an ethical question.<P>If there really is a question in your mind of a demonstrable conflictt of interest, start documenting now. <P>I think MY first step would be to try and find a supporter in the community that was a mutual friend or acquaintance of the other individual, and try to get them involved on my Board. Then, use their position and knowledge of this other individual to bridge the gap. (Maybe create a special Board position of Venue Chair that is responsible for scheduling and arranging venue sites.) <P>Let THEM go to the person with whom you have a problem and see if that changes the nature of the relationship. I have also seen this work very well in the person of a member of the City Council taking a place on the Board. (As long as it is a non-profit activity and THEY do not receive financial benefits from their participation it is NOT a conflict of interest for them.) Involving them in an active way on such a Board committee is an effective means of overcoming personal animosities or conflicts. <P>One of the best pieces of advice I have received pertaining to non-profit management is to: "always insert a Board member or other third party between yourself and any potential conflict. In that way, you remain a neutral party that can later come in to offer compromises or solutions; rather than be the one to instigate the conflict."

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next