public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Venues from Hell
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 8:45 am 

Cy, the conflict of interest issue can be a slippery thing. The conflict of interest itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially if you have a person of integrity in position. Basheva is right in that the theatre world is too small.<P>It is too easy however for individuals to be tempted into favoring one entity or another and to exploit a situation for selfish reasons. I have found through experience that this is not unusual, unfortunately (if my childhood memories serve me correctly, instead of letting an adult friend default in a game of Monopoly because she had to attend to something else, I played both my hand and her hand. She won, much to the surprise of everyone at the party. I was surprised that others were surprised. I've learned since why they were).<P>It seems that to avoid a conflict of interest or even a perceived conflict of interest, there needs to be another individual or body for Mr Denison to be accountable to. We here at Critical-Dance for example have various associations with the dance community. At some point or other, we will run into a conflict of interest about who or what we report about. Therefore, the C-D staff has an active policy of policing each other and we gently bring situations up when we feel there is a conflict of interest. I for example have had to recuse myself from commenting on certain companies due to my personal and/or professional relationships with them.<P>It's tricky but the conflict of interest of issue can be resolved with a good policy in place. Perhaps this venue needs a policy for themselves that is as tough as the ones they impose on the artists.<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited May 17, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 9:47 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Is there anything in these theater rental agreements about cleanup? Before? and after?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>We assessed a flat fee for custodial service. If there was an inordinate amount of mess, the extra cost was passed on to the presenter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 10:52 am 

I have found there are also incestuous relationships within the arts community in the allocation of public funding for the arts. Often those that will be receiving the funds are sometimes found sitting on the boards that decide where that money is to go.<P>A wonderful opportunity for self-aggrandisement and/or inflicting pain upon perceived competition. So, too, in the class/rate allocation by a theater to a renter. Or preference in reservation of dates.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited May 17, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 11:12 am 

I wonder exactly how much staff there actually IS at this venue. Paid and volunteer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 11:13 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Often those that will be receiving the funds are sometimes found sitting on the boards that decide where that money is to go.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Every funding agency I know of requires that such people recuse themselves and leave the room whenever their projects are discussed and voted on.<P>The Cultural Arts Council of Houston/Harris County made it very clear that I was not allowed to sit on the dance panel, because of my relationships within the dance community.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 11:15 am 

Basheva, sometimes this is true. Unfortunately the "cronyism" system abounds in all areas of business, not to mention politics!<P>I have served on arts panels where board members above the panels would want funding directed into channels of their choice. Their grants would be reviewed by me the same as all the others. If there was ever a conflict of interest, that voting member of the panel would leave the room during decision on the grant in question. I admit I occasionally raised the ire of those who I did not cater to, but also earned a reputation as being fair.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 12:02 pm 

LMC-<BR>You can find that information at <A HREF="http://www.dlrca.org" TARGET=_blank>www.dlrca.org</A> <P>And I can tell you for the number of events held there a year, 650+, three theaters, an art gallery, two conference rooms and a lobby that is rented for many non-theater events, they are terrifically understaffed. <P>Cy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 12:26 pm 

Whilst it is true that board members are asked to leave the room and stand outside in the hall (which is what actually happened here) while the funds for that particular board member are being considered - it is also true that each voted for the others' projects.<P>The scratching back syndrome. This is not meant to impugn all board members in all situations - but it certainly tied this city in knots.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited May 17, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 12:39 pm 

Well, if these people are indeed well-connected in the arts community, they would have friends on the panel whether they, themselves were on it or not.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 12:52 pm 

He all-<BR>Can we get back on track here. Regarding the alleged "Venue from Hell" article, there is no board involved. Only a man who is the Center Manager(reports to the City)is also the manager of the Repertory company, lighting designer to many organizations,his mother in law's ballet school performs their two times a year(he co-produces it)and he also produced Tony La Russa's Animal Relief Benefit for many years. <BR>How do you all feel about the conflict of interest angle? <P>Thanks,<BR>Cy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 3:39 pm 

Cy, I think I more or less responded to your question. You seem to be focused on this issue (of the conflict of interest). It sounds like it is something you experienced first hand. Do you think it is a problem in this case? What do others think?<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited May 17, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 3:45 pm 

Also, I have to commend Blair Tindall for having the courage to write this article. I'm not saying this just because she's a friend but because I truly admire her integrity in exposing the problems. Most other dance critics would probably have shied away from writing this article.<P>And one more thing: let's all pray for her safety. I don't take kindly to friends being threatened.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 4:54 pm 

Hmm, I reread the other discussion I referred to at the beginning of this thread (<a href=http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000091 target=_blank>Guerilla Dance - Backstage Trench Wars</a>) and something I wrote there more than a month ago just popped out at me. I think it's relevant to this discussion:

Quote:
Another thing that upsets me is that venues who cater to multiple art and entertainment forms almost always, in spite of their original mandate or intentions, give preferential treatment to pop music, theater, symphonic music, opera, films, and basically everything else before dance.
What is sad also is that dance companies, desperate to get a venue to perform in, will compete with each for the same undesirable arrangements and dates. So, most dance companies just have to put up with the few unscrupulous venue promoters who know how to play the game: "Well, if you don't like the deal, then I'm sure we'll find another dance company who wants to perform here."

For lots of different reasons, the dance community is so helpless and fragmented as a voice.

<small>[ 08-11-2002, 17:13: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 5:11 pm 

Yes Azlan I am very familiar with Mr. Denison's conflict of interest and his double standard concerning it. I do feel all of the pots he has his hands in is detrimental to the operation of the Center. He doesn't follow his own standards and rules. And now mention of Ms. Tindall being in danger. One doesn't write about the man without reprecussion. I do fear for her.<BR>CY

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 5:15 pm 

Oh, let me take my words back a little about "threats"... What I know is that hate mail was received. I cannot say if they were actually threats and from whom.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next