CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Colorado Dance Festival Closes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2001 5:28 am 

Boulder Colorado based Colorado Dance Festival closes due to cuts in grants and poor attendance. The CDF has presented dance performances and an educational approach to a variety of dance forms during summers since 1982.<P>CDF artistic director Katie MacDiarmid commented that there has been a struggle for the last couple of years due to the economy. Much is due to the huge cuts in the National Endowment and guideline changes in corporate and foundation giving.<P>In 1999, CDF moved its performances from a 125 seat venue to an 800 seat venue, but the ticket sales did not meet expectations. That was also when funders changed guidelines, and CDF never fully recovered.<P>The CDF season lasts from three or four weeks. In 2000, 11 of the 14 performances were sold out. This year some of the performances were cancelled due to poor ticket sales. Founder, Marda Kirn, mentioned that sales were also down at Boulder's two other major summer art series, the Colorado Music Festival and the Colorado Shakespeare <BR>Festival.<P>The CDF was long considered one of the top five dance festivals in the country, and even its sister festivals in Aspen and Glenwood Springs have folded. Douglas Sonntag, director of dance at the National Endowment for the Arts said, "CDF has been an invaluable service for dancers. This is a great loss for the people of Colorado and the national dance field."<P>CDF was noted for offering more educational components than most dance festivals with more faculty and an incredibly varied number of dance forms. Mikhail Baryshnikov showed his support for the CDF by appearing in a gala fund-raising performance with Dana Reitz in Boulder in 1996. Gregory Hines appeared as part of CDF's first homage to America's native dance form, tap, in the 1986 "Great Tap Reunion."<P>Founder Marda Kirn says, "What's been interesting in the coverage of the attacks is how people are talking about emotion, about how important it is to express emotion. That's what the arts are so good for-not just aesthetics, but emotions. Nourishing the spirit and the soul is so critical in times like these, and the arts can give that."

Post subject: Re: Colorado Dance Festival Closes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2001 6:31 am 

Thanks for posting this Maggie. What's the source of the info?<P>Following on from the closure of Boston's Dance Umbrella, this looks like very bad news for dance in the US for a variety of reasons. Apart from the impact on dance and dance fans in the area, it means that another quality venue for touring companies has been lost.<P>I would guess that a Festival like this has more difficult getting vanity sponsorship than a single dance company, especially a ballet company. Given the decline in the NEA since 10 years ago, I can believe that it is getting a lot harder to finance such events in the US. It looks as though thei stretched resources couldn't survive one bad year.<P>Here in Europe, my impression is that there are more such festivals each year as countries and regions are keen to showcase the best of their own and visiting companies. Fingers crossed and all that but I'm not aware of any financial problems at London's Dance Umbrella or the other dance festivals around the UK.

Post subject: Re: Colorado Dance Festival Closes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2001 1:52 pm 

I realize part of it is funding issues, but I also can't help but wonder if it isn't also an issue of the current generation of managers? Has television and video games created a generation of managers that get going when the going gets tough? Close out one, figuring you can start something else?