public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: City of Walnut Creek - Arts Budget 04-06
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:55 pm 

There are so many interesting comments in this article that I decided this subject deserved it's own place in the Forum. I am pleased to see the Arts Commission operating in such a realistic and professional manner.

Tackling Tough Budget Choices

Quote:
The Center Rep and Bedford Gallery budgets projected revenues increasing by more than 100 percent.
Wow, I wish we could say the same. What do they know that we don't?

Regarding budget cuts:
Quote:
City Manager Mike Parness warned this would slow progress on arts vision goals, and reduce program quality.
Not necessarily. We cut our budget in half in 2002 (Save the Ballet) and I defy anyone to say that our quality has suffered. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: City of Walnut Creek - Arts Budget 04-06
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 6:16 pm 

Denison said:

Quote:
"If we need to do one-person shows, that's what we'll be doing,"
What? How about stopping the Equity contract nonsense to curb the Rep budget. There are many, many talented non-equity actors in the bay area. Membership does not guarantee talent!

Quote:
Chairwoman Lisa Hotchkiss asked whether the DRAA was ready to take on the fund-raising challenge. "That's an interesting question," Pokorny said. "They're nervous. They're not confident at all."
Ya think so Mr. Pokorny? Due to the recent circumtstances regarding Mr. Denison's hi-jinx at the Lesher Center, the DRAA's board has asked for a complete audit of the books. Well, when you shake hands with the devil...........

Amazing the people we have working in City government these days.

TGS

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: City of Walnut Creek - Arts Budget 04-06
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:53 am 

From the Contra Costa Times,

Quote:
Walnut Creek finds cultural costs add up
By Theresa Harrington / CONTRA COSTA TIMES
Walnut Creek officials view their city as the leading regional center for the arts in the Bay Area outside San Francisco -- but at a price.
Click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: end of first year of budget cycle
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:53 pm 

Well since the budget went from the Reg. Ctr to CenterRep, this first year should be quite a test. My bet is that Rep lost money (again). Could it be that Rep is draining the life from this Center? This has been the talk for years. Maybe those folks at City Hall will finally get a clue!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:44 pm 

From the Contra Costa Times,

Quote:
Arts organizations receive $175,000 in grants

By Theresa Harrington

STAFF WRITER

The Diablo Regional Arts Association has awarded $175,000 in grants to eight Bay Area organizations for their 2005-06 seasons, including $100,000 allocated from Walnut Creek's general fund and $75,000 raised by the association.

Click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:40 am 

Wow, so the City contributed $100,000. of the $175.000? I believe that DRAA has got to step up and start raising more money on their own. I believe they need to separate themselves from the City more. They need to move their offices out of the Regional Center. This is the only way that they will be able to expand and legitimatize their organization. I'm sure there are other properties that will give them office space for the tax write off. As long as they are under the thumb of the City they are restricted from prospering.