public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: San Jose Cleveland Ballet On Brink of Closing
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 1:30 pm 

In keeping with the duality of this ballet company, there are two official websites:<P> <A HREF="http://www.csjballet.org/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.csjballet.org/</A> <P> <A HREF="http://www.sanjoseclevelandballet.org/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sanjoseclevelandballet.org/</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 3:08 pm 

what a completely wierd setup! - i look forward to reading these properly later.....to better understand this strange situation. thanks for the links, azlan.<P>oh yes, trina: i too noted those staff figures - but i rememebered i got some answers on this previously re another company in america - apparently this is not unusual there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 3:17 pm 

from cleveland:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Money problems force board to<BR> dismiss dancers; chief hopes for<BR> comeback - - -<P>"We made a decision that was difficult but morally<BR> correct" - - -<P>Jones said the ballet is not dead yet, however.<BR> "It's not officially closed," he said. "We will keep a<BR> skeleton staff. We will continue to explore<BR> options." - - -<P>The dancers had been paid 60 percent of their<BR> salaries between Aug. 21 and Sept. 1. They have<BR> been working without pay this week. - - -<P>One source of hope is in San Jose, the<BR> company’s partner since 1986. The San Jose<BR> board operates in the black on a $4.5 million<BR> annual budget. Last year, it lent the Cleveland<BR> board $1 million. - - -<P>The School of Cleveland San<BR> Jose Ballet also is in limbo until the board<BR> consults with lawyers. Artistic associate Linda<BR> Jackson said the school has postponed its<BR> opening, which had been scheduled for Monday.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <A HREF="http://www.cleveland.com:80/entertainment/index.ssf?/entertainment/pd/ee08ball.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.cleveland.com:80/entertainment<BR>/index.ssf?/entertainment/pd/ee08ball.html</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited September 10, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 5:37 pm 

Trina, according to one report I read, audience numbers broke down as follows for 1999:<P>Cleveland: 78,000<P>San Jose: 70,000

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2000 8:51 pm 

From the SF Chronicle:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>In contrast, the Bay Area's other major ballet companies are thriving. Oakland Ballet, streamlined but in solid financial footing, opens at the Paramount Theatre on Friday. ``We are in the black,'' said Oakland executive director Renee Heider. ``Subscriptions are up 23 percent, and we are looking forward to a great season.'' <P>San Francisco Ballet, America's oldest ballet company, plans to announce next week that it is in the black for the ninth consecutive year. ``Our endowment over the last eight years has grown from $3 million to $36 million,'' executive director Arthur Jacobus said, ``and I am confident that support from the community will continue.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/09/09/DD38157.DTL" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2000 11:43 pm 

surely there are just too many companies calling on support in the bay area?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2000 1:01 am 

When there's a lot of competition, I don't think it helps to have a boring name. I'm sure both Cleveland and San Jose are nice places, but it's certainly not as cool-sounding as "Diablo".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2000 1:11 am 

grace, the other point is that the problems seem to be at the Cleveland end rather than San Jose.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2000 5:03 am 

i sure do agree about that awkward name, priscilla!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Each city has its own budget and is<BR> responsible for its own fund raising, but they<BR> share productions and dancers. The<BR> Cleveland company, with an annual budget of<BR> $6.5 million, has been running at a deficit for<BR> a decade and has come up short in its<BR> fund-raising projections. <P> The San Jose side of the ballet company<BR> operates in the black, with an annual budget<BR> of $4.5 million that is not directly affected by<BR> Thursday's decision. <P> For all its financial good health in San Jose,<BR> however, the company's shutdown in<BR> Cleveland has unsettling repercussions for<BR> dance in the Bay Area: The San Jose<BR> Cleveland Ballet dancers make Cleveland<BR> their home. They take daily classes and<BR> rehearse every ballet in the Cleveland<BR> studios, flying in and out of San Jose only to<BR> perform. Relocating 40 dancers is a costly<BR> and time-consuming proposition. - - -<P>Along with the dancers, set builders, costume<BR> makers and all the other workers who put<BR> together a dance season were laid off in<BR> Cleveland. The company has no costume<BR> shop in San Jose. Real estate and<BR> commercial rental space are considerably<BR> more expensive in San Jose than in<BR> Cleveland. - - -<P>The Cleveland Ballet School, which was to<BR> open its doors Monday to 300 students for<BR> the new school year, also closed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com:80/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/09/09/DD38157.DTL" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sfgate.com:80/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/09/09/DD38157.DTL</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2000 8:38 am 

Priscilla, you bring up an interesting point. There are quite a few professional ballet companies in the Bay Area, not even counting all the semi-professional ones affiliated with schools: Let's see, there's SF Ballet, Oakland Ballet, LINES Contemporary Ballet, Smuin Ballets/SF, Diablo Ballet and Lawrence Pech Dance Company.<P>Then there are a smattering of schools and semi-pro companies, like Western Ballet, Santa Clara Ballet, Danvile Ballet, Berkeley Ballet Theater, Marin Ballet, Pacific ballet Theater, Peninsula Ballet Theater, etc. etc.<P>For some reason, all these companies survive -- a few even thrive -- with money coming in from private funding.<P>And to reiterate, the crisis with SJCB comes from the Cleveland end. From what I understand, the San Jose side would love to work a deal out with them again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2000 2:22 pm 

how bizarre, that they have two boards...how does that work? maybe the company should just move to san Jose, since that group seems more solvent----?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2000 8:55 pm 

But presumanly trina, the San jose side would have to at least double its finanacial contribution to make San Jose the sole home venue. In fact, the real home, with offices and facilities seemed to be <BR>Cleveland with a greater cost base there. <P>Perhaps part of the problem was an inequitable split of the overhead costs between the two cities.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2000 3:07 am 

My lack of knowledge of the US scene does not allow me to generalise. However, I wonder if this is part of a trend we have seen in Europe. Namely that it is possible for small (up to 15 or so dancers) companies to exist and large ones (60+). The former do not need so much money and the latter can tap into public or in the case of the US funds to a level that makes productions of 'big' ballet possible.<P>The medium sized Ballet Rambert was on its knees in the mid 60s before it switched to a smaller, modern (with ballet influences) company. There are plenty of small ballet companies doing modern work in Continental Europe and the 35 strong company at the regional opera house in Hannover has just switched from a classical company to a modern ballet one with (I think) fewer dancers.<P>This middle ground seems to be the most vulnerable. Is this a trend in the US? <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited September 11, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2000 7:20 pm 

Stuart, I have my opinion on this but I'd like to hear what others think.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2000 10:39 am 

The San Jose side is trying to create a new San Jose Ballet.

<a href=http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000129 target=_blank>Follow this link to the new thread</a>

<small>[ 08-11-2002, 16:59: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail