public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Creation of San Jose Ballet
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:39 pm 

the closure is official, and this article also includes some news about the new company, accommodation in san jose, what happens to the sets, etc:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.cleveland.com:80/entertainment/index.ssf?/entertainment/pd/e21balle.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.cleveland.com:80/entertainment/<BR>index.ssf?/entertainment/pd/e21balle.html</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited October 11, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2000 4:45 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Although Cleveland had been on a financial roller coaster for<BR> almost a decade, the San Jose organization has operated in<BR> the black for six years. It reported a surplus of more than<BR> $500,000 after last season. - - -<P>The dancers were offered a new contract Tuesday and had<BR> two days to decide whether to move. - - -<P><BR>Trustees also grappled with the company's name,<BR> considering about 50, said Andrew Bales, executive director<BR> of the new organization. The new moniker doesn't exactly trip<BR> off the tongue. But ``San Jose Ballet'' is already taken by a<BR> dance school. Simply calling it the ``Silicon Valley Ballet''<BR> wouldn't work because San Jose requires its name to be a<BR> part of any arts organization using city funds.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <A HREF="http://www7.mercurycenter.com:80/premium/front/docs/ballet16.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www7.mercurycenter.com:80/premium/front/docs/ballet16.htm</A> <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2000 2:38 pm 

Well, it looks like Ballet San Jose is definitely open for business. From their press release:

Quote:
Ballet San Jose of Silicon Valley opens a full season of dance October 12-15 with the West Coast Premiere of a new work from Artistic Director Dennis Nahat and two classical programs from giants of ballet history. The fall repertory program is entitled, "Inaugural Moments" and includes Nahat’s Moments, Auguste Bournonville’s Napoli, and George Balanchine’s Theme and Variations. The program will be performed by the full company of 31 dancers accompanied by the 45-piece Ballet San Jose of Silicon Valley orchestra. Single ticket prices for the production run from $20 to $65. Subscriptions and single tickets are now available. (408) 288-2800
They are also seeking help in housing the dancers to be relocated from Cleveland:

Quote:
Ballet San Jose of Silicon Valley (formally San Jose Cleveland Ballet) is in the process of relocating 24 dancers and their families to the South Bay/Peninsula. When their co-venture partner in Ohio ceased operations in September, the San Jose company bought up the contracts of many of the troupe's dancers and is working hard to find suitable housing for these world-class artists here in one of the most expensive housing markets in the country
For more, go to the Ballet San Jose Silicon Valley press release thread.

<small>[ 08-11-2002, 17:00: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2000 3:24 pm 

Having just read all that's here, as well as the press release thread, I am sickened by this entire thing.<P>The crowing about creating a ballet company in 8 days is simply ridiculous. Obviously this was being planned out, while the dancers were not getting paid in Cleveland...while they were still rehearsing for a season, on Cleveland's expense accounts - never to be paid for, I'd bet. Terrible time of letting the dancers know it's over, and then ::poof:: new company, with the same artistic director and manager. And dancers, who haven't been paid for several weeks, have to decide what to do immediately. Utterly ridiculous. <P>And the topper is the release looking for housing. Adopt a dancer - give them a good home.....keep them from being put to sleep. Each dancer will be spade or neutered before you bring them home.<P><BR>oh, wait, that's the dog pound....I got confused.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 11:55 pm 

always good to hear from you, babs. this is obviously going to come out as a niave question...but do you REALLY think this has been so cynically managed...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Thursday marks the debut of Ballet San Jose of Silicon Valley at the San Jose Center for the Performing Arts. The repertory for this historic occasion will be a triple bill of Balanchine, Bournonville and Nahat.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/10/08/PK96907.DTL" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/10/08/PK96907.DTL</A> <P>a letter to the editor of SF chronicle:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/10/08/PK114953.DTL" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/10/08/PK114953 .DTL</A> <p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited October 09, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 5:58 pm 

BabsLight, I've been in touch with Ballet San Jose and I sincerely believe the staff and board in San Jose didn't really know this was going to happen. Things are developing even now as we speak, with all kinds of last minute decisions being made. It is clear to me that none of this was planned beforehand. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten news that changed by the hour. From what I can see, it was a crisis that the San Jose staff has managed amazingly well. And I commend them for having the guts to attempt it.<P>I will be there on Thursday to celebrate their inaugural performance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 11:31 pm 

San Jose Mercury News interviews Dennis Nahat about the 'surrealist' going-ons of the past weeks:<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Nahat said the dancers have gone back to rehearsing in their old studios, even though the ballet company and the school have closed. <BR>``The whole thing is not real to me,'' he says. ``I'm still in the same studio with the same dancers, but the offices are like a vacated ship. I'm pulling posters off the walls and packing files, and it's like the hundreds of people working here were never here. To see all the work we had been doing stop is, in a way, torture.'' <BR>But now, San Jose has welcomed the company with open arms. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.mercurycenter.com/premium/arts/docs/ballet10.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>Nahat interview</B></A><P><BR>And here are some more details about the asset deal:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Ballet San Jose of Silicon Valley has taken full ownership of all production assets of the former San Jose Cleveland Ballet. <BR>This means that Ballet San Jose, which debuts Thursday at the San Jose Center for the Performing Arts, now owns its sets, costumes, shop equipment, music library, audio-visual archives and other equipment. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/10/10/DD111928" TARGET=_blank><B>Now read on</B></A> <BR><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited October 11, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 10:00 pm 

For a preview and a review of the first performance by this new company (including photos), go to the Ballet San Jose's Inaugural Performances thread.

<small>[ 08-11-2002, 17:01: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 9:54 am 

A question was brought up above about the school. The school, which I believe is still called the School of San Jose Cleveland Ballet (SSJCB), is still operating under the directorship of Donna Delseni. Their students range from four to adult in three divisions: Adult, Professional and Preparatory.<P>I might add that they also teach alternative techniques such as modern, spanish, jazz etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:29 am 

wilma salisbury must have been reading my questions, down in the Ballet San Jose first performance review thread (in BALLET forum). here she supplies some answers to my questions:
http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf?/entertainment/pd/e15balle.html

Quote:
To the ballet-going public, Nahat seems most to blame for what happened to the company. As its artistic director and choreographer after Horvath left in 1985, Nahat continued throughout the ballet’s existence to insist on the biggest productions, the best materials and personnel.

<small>[ 08-25-2002, 13:38: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:33 am 

the company's inaugural performance is covered in this thread in BALLET:

http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000431

<small>[ 08-11-2002, 17:02: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2000 9:41 am 

Thanks for that article grace. Let's hope that they now have an Administrator and a Board who will not be seduced into financially disasterous projects by the charismatic Mr Nahat.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 8:18 pm 

It's interesting that Salisbury writes this now, after the ballet has closed. If these facts were so apparent, why wasn't there an article then to alert everyone of the true situation? What happened to the days of hard-hitting journalism?

This is how I believe websites like criticaldance.com can make a difference. While publishers and established writers are worried about offending their friends, a forum such as this allows fans to speak the plain truth.

See also the on-going discussion on Dance Periodicals.

<small>[ 08-11-2002, 17:03: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 3:33 am 

I can see the situation being possible that until the company's demise (and top people being away in California) that the story may not have been available to Wilma. She definitely has a reputation for "calling em as she see em". But, if things were that messed up there, I expect staff was wrapped up pretty tightly in hush orders....and if not directly ordered, I expect there was substantial fear. Or it is possible that there was overwhelming support and no one wanted to speak to the press until they had been betrayed....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2000 7:28 pm 

Yet another story on the financial struggles at Ballet San Jose:<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B><A HREF="http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2000/11/13/story5.html" TARGET=_blank>Newly named ballet company takes leap toward funds goal</A></B><BR>Sarah Lacy, Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal<P>Poised on the opening of its second performance as the Ballet San Jose Silicon Valley, the newly renamed company is committed to going forward -- although it's not as close to its $2 million fund-raising goal as was earlier hoped.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><B><A HREF="http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2000/11/13/story5.html" TARGET=_blank>The full article</A></B><BR>

Profile E-mail