public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "My Dance Story" Project
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:13 am 

[To Administrator: Please consider posting this in your forum. This is a project started by a friend (who is a Bolshoi-trained dancer) which I think is amazing. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.]

“You know, Mrs. Lynne, Gillian isn’t sick. She is a dancer. Take her to a dance school.” Many of us have by now heard the story of Gillian Lynne, the renowned choreographer responsible for such hits as Cats and The Phantom of the Opera. She struggled as a young student, and her mother was told to take her to a doctor because the school thought that Gillian had a learning disorder. Once at a doctor’s office, she sat on her hands for 20 minutes while her mother talked to the doctor about all the problems Gillian was having at school. The doctor then sat next to Gillian and said, “Gillian, I’ve listened to all these things that your mother’s told me. I need now to speak to her privately. Wait here – we’ll be back. We won’t be very long.” As they went out of the room, he turned on the radio sitting on his desk. When they got out of the room, the doctor asked Mrs. Lynn to stand and watch her daughter. The minute they left, Gillian was on her feet, moving to the music. So her mother took her to a dance school, as “prescribed” by the doctor. The rest, as they say, is history. This is how Ms. Lynne discovered that she had to move to think and that dance was her calling.

Dance Channel TV (www.dancechanneltv.com) is looking for submissions of your stories. We want to hear stories from dancers and non-dancers alike similar to Ms. Lynne’s, where dance played a life-changing, central role. Was dance responsible for you finding your life partner? Did dance help you overcome a pain, loss or hardship? Did it change a course of your life? Did it shape, in some fundamental way, the person that you are today? It can be something that unfolded over decades or in just five minutes. We seek candid stories full of emotion, heart and soul.

Dance Channel TV will choose a number of stories from the submissions and will create segments, about 2 minutes in length, which will become part of Dance Channel TV’s My Dance Story series. The project will be a collaboration between you and Dance Channel TV (but will not require much of your time or effort). If you are chosen to participate in this project, we will need to have a simple follow-up phone call or speak over Skype in order to put the segment together.

Make your story heard and inspire, lift up, empower and connect people through your dance!

Submission Details

This is an ongoing project but the deadline for the first wave of submissions is MARCH 15, 2011. In order to submit your story to Dance Channel TV, please e-mail or write to the listed address below. Please do not worry about grammar or making your letter perfect. We only ask that you submit us a story that is true. As for length, your story can be anywhere from two paragraphs to two pages. Please provide your name, where you are from and your telephone number/email address.

Send your story to:

My Dance Story Project with Dance Channel TV
11135 Weddington Street, Suite 246
North Hollywood, CA 91601

Or e-mail it to:

contact@dancechanneltv.com

Profile E-mail