public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

"Have you taken a structured class, course, or seminar related to Dance History?"
Yes 80%  80%  [ 16 ]
No 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 20
 Post subject: New Poll for Spring 2009!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:17 pm 

Here is the latest. Now, more than ever, I'm firmly believe in the importance of knowing our "roots." We can cull from our rich history regardless of whether we are performing, teaching, or making dances.

Getting this information can be kind of hap-hazzard, so we're interested if you've been able to take something formal that's given you a framework to hang dance history on.

Clicking on the poll is a great first step, but if you could also take a moment to let us know, via a short response, what kind of class or seminar this may have been, it would be appreciated and helpful.

Thanks! :D

Last edited by Dean Speer on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:18 am 

When I was in college Dance History was a required two semester course. The first semester covered non-Western dance forms. The second semester was the history of Western theatrical dance. I loved it, actually.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:41 am 

I also took 2 terms (semesters) of Dance History, but with the emphasis on Modern / Contemporary dance and approaches to History (Historiography) that might be summed up as "there's no such thing as history, only historians".

Nowadays I give seminars on "The History of Contemporary Dance in the UK" at dance festivals around Europe.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:27 am 

I took one semester of dance history. It was at 8AM on the second floor of a building, on the top of a hill, and I was a Theatre major.

I don't remember much about it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:17 pm 

Hmm, sounds similar to my Advanced Russian Grammar class.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:07 pm 

Somebody once said that there is no good practice without good theory. Well, I guess I am a historian at heart... have written about it and lectured on many occasions on the subject. But I love lecturing to dance students because you can save so many hours of silly repetitions in the studio if only you know WHAT you are dancing!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:53 am 

I think it is important for clarity for the dancer to understand the context of what they are dancing. So many young dancers flail around performing tricks without realizing the emotional or dramatic or historical context of what they are dancing. A male dancer doing "The Rose" who doesn't know about Nijinsky is giving half a performance no matter how high their jumps are.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:24 pm 

There is something very wrong in the way repertoire is being passed down and taught at schools. I remember lecturing on The Sleeping Beauty one day and telling a student that I was not going to explain much on Princess Florine as she had just told me she was doing the variation in class. She told me that she did not know that variation at all... to which I replied "but you told me you were doing the variation from the Bluebird Pas de Deux"! She stared at me and said "yes, but that is the Bluebird Variation" I laughed and said, "you are not a bird! You are an enchanted princess learning to fly... that is why you listen and you copy the Bluebird's -who is also an enchanted prince- steps!!" She became very serious and actually shouted "why didn't they tell me that??"

Teachers blame the lack of interest in the students... I am not sure of that... whenever I have explained a variation or coached students or lectured on it, I have always had the most beautiful response... so I don't know what it is... maybe I was very lucky!! True, this generation may be lazier in order to find out things on their own, but at the same time, the teachers/coaches passing down the heritage are not making a great effort in either articulating or making relevant to these kids what the repertoire is about...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:40 pm 

Yes, during the third year at the RAD (College) we had the pleasure and the privilege of an hour a week with Clement Crisp.

He probably needs no introduction, but anyway his classes were fascinating and ran from actual Dance History through him waxing lyrical about Lynn Seymour and Natalia Makarova (both of whom he worshipped)and grinding his teeth about Carla Fracci (who he didn't), and a few cooking hints too as I recall.

Splendid classes.

Post subject: baroque dance
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:49 pm 

I took a few private lessons in baroque dance from a teacher who had attended several national workshops. I had trouble nailing the correct body position and arms. They were just different enough from ballet to be difficult.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:20 am 

just a quick question from the uninformed: how does one click on the poll? When I attempt to do so, nothing happens. Is there a trick?

-d-