Music and Scenario for a new modern ballet is described at :

www.beewarb.org

I would value any comments.

Brian

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:08 pm 

Welcome, Brian.

An interesting topic for sure. I don't think I've seen any work tackling this subject. Are you planning to use text at all? How will the audience get the specifics of the story?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:24 am 

Hello LMCTech,
Many thanks for your post and interest. I realize the chosen subject seems rather obscure and perhaps too technical to have a wide appreciation. However if it can be produced transparently, without too much emphasis on the subject matter, it will work. I have submitted three pieces just as music performance (no choreography yet), in the past three years to Music Festivals in the UK. Godalming International and Kingston-on-Thames International., obtaining first class awards at each. An orchestrated version was performed at Trinity College Oxford on the occasion of their 450 year anniversay in 2005.

It is true, I have not publioshed a detailed scenario as text. However, I need to collaborate with a skilled producer who can interpret my ideas graphically in costume & dance.
There are many classical productions in musical history where difficult technical themes have been successfully portrayed e.g. the ballet Coppelia, Dr. Faustus etc.
In comedy, Jacques Tati as a silent clown accomplished what would have been virtually impossible in words?

Brian

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:40 am 

Brian Warburton wrote:
However, I need to collaborate with a skilled producer who can interpret my ideas graphically in costume & dance.

I doubt if any producer can do that; what a producer can do, however, is to put together a team of choreographer and designers who can do it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:23 am 

Many thanks for your comment, Jeffrey. It'seems to me that the top priority is to obtain a funding grant for this type of project. in the UK this would be something like the Arts Council of Great Britain. I have been advised that fees are not cheap and a round figure of something of the order of $200,000
for a choerographer and a few lead dancers would be necessary for one or two demonstration pieces. It would be best to record such initial work on DVD for future refernce.

Brian

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:46 am 

Assuming that the UK grants process is similar to ours (and I can't imagine that it wouldn't be), funders are going to want to see bios of the major collaborators -- certainly the choreographer and conductor (if that's not you), as well as a detailed marketing plan and an idea of the size and breakdown of your target audience.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:16 pm 

I take on board what you say and will be working on these issues. My next deadline (Friday 19th Jan.) is another score from this work to be submitted to the 2007 Godalming Festival. Performances will be in March 2007at Godalming, Surrey, UK.

This project was originally submitted to COPUS, a UK Standing Committee on the Public Understanding of Science. As you can imagine this is a long running struggle as it is in the US also. COPUS have a funding success of 1 in 500. The target audience is probably, realistically a subset of the balletomanes. A few years ago the resident staff at the Natural History Museum in London managed a project, like this, for children visiting the museum, it was unusual but a great success. We also have a long standing series of Christmas Lectures at The Royal Intitution in London again for children on current science and maths topics--the interest of kids often gets triggered when they are turned seven plus, but they need to be budding polymaths to see fun in diverse ideas. But that is in just one city of one country!

Incidentally, if anyone would like a complimentary CD of tracks of the spoken dialogue and piano music (2hands and 4hands), let me know via e-mail and I will see if I can ship one out.

Brian

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:14 pm 

Wow, I'm impressed by your tenacity.

You are correct in saying that difficult subjects have been tackled in music and dance in the past, "The Green Table" comes to mind, and when they are successful they become very important works.

Please keep us updated on your struggles. It seems you have a pretty clear plan of attack and that is a good next step.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:02 am 

Some Music Scores (Piano 4 Hands) can now be downloaded (for free) for ACT I. Prints can be made in Microsoft Paint or similar apls.

Brian

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Dr. Anna, Act1, Scene1.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:34 pm 

The first public performance of Act1,Scene1 scored for piano duet (music only) will take place at the Borough Hall, Godalming, Surrey, UK. at 5.55pm. on Monday, March 5th 2007. Details of the festival are available at: www.godalmingmusicfestival.org.uk
All are welcome. There will be a small entrance fee taken on arrival.
Brian

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:21 pm 

Act1, Scene1 composition was awarded 82/100 by the Adjudicator.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:16 am 

sounds like a good score to me, well done!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:15 am 

It must be observed that the Galletta Cup for Open Composition at the Godalming Music Festival in 2007. was awarded to Amy Turk for a beautiful piece written for harp and flute. Amy was awarded 88/100.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Music and Scenario for a New Ballet
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:58 am 

Two new dances: Polka and Quickstep from the Ballet Dr. Anna will be realeased on Saturday, March 8th 2008. Full details are posted on website:

www.beewarb.org

Brian

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:23 pm 

The Adjududicator awarded marks as follows:

Quickstep 83%
Polka 83%

Profile E-mail