public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeing a Ballet You Didn't Like Much for the Second Time
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:05 pm 

I'm curious. What has been the experience of others?

My own is very mixed.

I did not like Sandpiper Ballet at Stern Grove 2001. But I had a bad seat and was in an extraordinarily pissy mood; in fact, I did not like anything on the program that day. When I saw it again 2 years ago I thought it was just fine (not great, but certainly enjoyable).

OTOH, Blue Rose was boring the first time I saw it and more so the second.

I saw Four Temperaments on video and thought it boring. When it was at Stern Grove I had planned to just leave early, but the performance orders was changed. Instead of being last, it was moved before Rush, which I did want to see. And Four Temperaments turned out to be the high point of the afternoon. Several solid performances and absolute domination by Muriel Maffre. To this day I don't know if it is a ballet that just doesn't work on tape or if Maffre made it great.

I did not like Eden/Eden last year at all. It is on this year's SFB schedule. I am not sure whether to even see it or just leave early that day.

What experience have others had? Are they better the second time around, or no?

Post subject: seeing...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:09 pm 

Seeing a second time a boring ballet i'ts a new one and you have to forget everything and be receptive
Dancers' musicality and in fact ballet's rythm can be so different these two details are so important and change the world's face... but who gives "tempo"? is it orchestra or dancers? probably it is also important
The second time or the third when you are a ballet's lover... your mind is less receptive to the first discovery shock and you have time to see more precisely choregraphy and to analyze it
So the second is the best!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:00 pm 

I like to see ballets more than once, especially if I didn't like it the first time, because it could have been because of casting or tempo or my mood or bad seats that influenced my dislike the first time. I often see things I like the second time around. There are however exceptions, the first time I saw that terrible Chinese ballet Helgi did a couple of years ago (what was it called?) I knew I NEVER wanted to see it again. I was in fact in hysterics after it ended because I thought it was so bad. When it was on the program the foloowing year, I left early.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:13 pm 

I've definitely had times where the casting or my mood have affected my first perception of a ballet.

I disliked Bournonville's "A Folktale" the first time I saw it, but completely changed my opinion after a second viewing. The reasons were partially casting, but also I think by my second viewing I'd had a chance to learn more about Bournonville & the company.

There are few ballets that I can't stand, but the NBT's 'Three Musketeers" comes pretty close. Very glad I only had to see it once - it just seemed so horribly contrived and lacking cohesive dance & movement. Urgh. That and the horrible Pied Piper that ABT did many years ago - even Angela Corella couldn't save it.

Oh, and Peter Martins' "Thou Swell". I tolerated it the first time or two, but as the casts have changed, but can't stand it now. Having to sit through it a few years ago in Copenhagen was torture - the singers have gotten worse (if that's possible), the choreography seems more and more repetitive each time and the 'Nilas Martins at the piano' schtick is no longer amusing - at all. I cringe to think of the money wasted on the exravgent costumes, sets and hired singers. To think what NYCB have done with that money and a choreographer like Wheeldon or Ratmansky or to bring back a Robbins or Balanchine ballet to the rep.

Kate

Last edited by ksneds on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:18 am 

Full length Don Quixote. It was pretty boring the first time and has only gotten worse for me over the years. I just hate having to sit through that ballet. I am even growing TIRED of seeing the pas de deux.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:01 pm 

I hate Giselle. Every production of Giselle. I have given this ballet many chances, but I hate it. The worst was ABT's production with Julie Kent as Giselle. I wanted to die by the end because I was so bored. Angel Corella couldn't save that either. Poor Angel, he seems to have been cast in a lot of crap over the years.

Profile E-mail