public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Center Stage II
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:24 pm 

Cooper Returns
Stiefel Pops, Locks, And Teaches in Center Stage II

People tend to confuse him with Cooper Nielson, his character in the popular dance movie Center Stage, says Ethan Stiefel, just because they both ride motorcycles. "If there are similarities, they are purely coincidental," Stiefel says. Fans may get even more confused when he reprises his role in Center Stage II, now shooting in Vancouver. This time Cooper not only dances but teaches, just like Stiefel, a principal at American Ballet Theatre who recently was named dean of dance at North Carolina School of the Arts. Stiefel feels his teaching experience (he has run a summer intensive program Stiefel and Students, on Martha's Vineyard for several years) helped him with some of Cooper's scenes. "I'm still creating a character, but some things he says ring true to my philosophy," Stiefel says. "Like, you can have obvious talent and technique, but what about the intangibles that make a great artist?"

This time around, the movie follows Kate Parker (Rachele Smith), an ambitious young dancer from a small town, who comes to New York to enroll in the prestigious American Ballet Academy, and must contend with scornful fellow students who look down on hip hop, one of her passions. Stiefel had to learn some moves, which proved one of the shoot's highpoints. "It was fantastic!" he says. "I'm not sure I was necessarily successful, but what was beautiful was the collaboration with the other dancers. At this point in my career, when learning something brand-new like this falls into your lap, it's challenging and exciting." With multiple knee injuries behind him, Stiefel has a fresh perspective on his career, and the message of movies like Center Stage II. "It's about what makes an artist," he says. "It's not about the number of turns or how high you jump, but about that other thing you can't describe that someone has no matter what they're doing. It's about being able to express yourself completely onstage. You have to fight for a professional career; it doesn't always come easily. You may get knocked down a lot in your training, or with knee surgeries, but you have to pick yourself up and move forward." Like he is. Welcome back, Cooper. Er, Stiefel.

photo credit: Stiefel at JKO School
Rosalie O'Connor, courtesy of ABT

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:25 pm 

I'm yet to see Center Stage I, but I understand it got pretty good reviews :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:28 pm 

The first Center Stage is a guilty pleasure for many, many dancers and fans. :)

I can't believe they're making a second one, but I'm sure we're all going "OMG!" in our hearts.

--Andre

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:59 pm 

:lol: --Now I must to rent the dvd of I!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:49 am 

Casting has been released for Center Stage II!! Sadly this movie looked like a movie with a number tacked onto the end of it when it first premiered back in 2000 and now we must endure more…. Below were my thoughts for Center Stage I:

Quote:
Egad! Please don’t waste your money on that Hollywood junk! It was a made-for TV movie at best. The acting wasn’t as bad as I thought it might be. But as for the story and the motorcycle ballet, you won’t be able to view it more than once. Anyone who buys this video will be helping every filmy, soulless, reptilian pinhead in Hollywood to perpetuate their species. Stop those bastards from polluting the history of cinema. If you must see it, wait for it to come out on FREE TV. Don’t be a sucker.

Question: Is there a chance it may go straight to DVD or perhaps it will be so bad, it may go straight to VHS? Viewer discretion is highly advised!

Someone in this forum was under the impression it received good reviews…. Well, from memory it did not in Toronto and the majority gave it a rotten tomato on www.rottentomatoes.com

Profile E-mail