public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: boys/young men & ballet
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:04 am 

Some days ago I read a very interesting interview with Arthur Pita, in which he also spoke about his motivations to become a dancer. So I asked myself what fascination and/or motivations boys and young men have to enter ballet-classes. Iwould be happy to get some ideas

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:38 am 

Hi Volkmar. Would you expect the reasons to be different to those for women and girls? Frequently that is a love of music and moving to music and a facility for this. For both sexes there are other reasons, for instance there are cases where young people have taken up dance in order to strengthen their bodies and have ended up enjoying it for itself.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:35 pm 

Would you expect the reasons to be different to those for women and girls?

Hi, Stuart! I won't expect these reasons different, but I see that there are far more classes for girls and women than for boys and young men; that's what I was wondering about; that's what raised my interest in this specific issue.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:31 am 

I knew a male gymnast who got into dance because he had suffered a knee injury and his coach had suggested he take dance classes as a way of getting back in shape that wasn't quite as stressful for his knee as gymnastics. He ended up becoming a dancer. Actually, I knew two gymnasts with the same story.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:17 am 

djb wrote:
I knew a male gymnast who got into dance because he had suffered a knee injury and his coach had suggested he take dance classes as a way of getting back in shape that wasn't quite as stressful for his knee as gymnastics. He ended up becoming a dancer. Actually, I knew two gymnasts with the same story.

This reminds me of "Minus One" danced by the National Ballet of Maontral/Canada two years ago in Munich, in which a dancer told, that she had problems with her kidneys, started dancing and is now okay.

Profile E-mail