public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finding treasures: Ballet Russe Scenery
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 7:08 am 

Here is a site from the Butler Ballet (university) in Indianaposis, Indiana that features their collection of Ballet Russe scenery.<BR> The collection was accumualated over several years in the sixties by the late George Verdak, himself a dancer with the Ballet Russe, and faculty member at Butler.<BR>Read, and see more scenery, some accompanied by music, at <A HREF="http://www.butler.edu/dance/br_scenery.html" TARGET=_blank>www.butler.edu/dance/br_scenery.html</A> <P>This scene from Petrouchka seems appropriate this month.<BR> Image <P>[This message has been edited by Maggie (edited October 13, 2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by Maggie (edited October 13, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Finding treasures: Ballet Russe Scenery
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 1:09 pm 

Maggie - what a marvelous site you found!! Do you know what years of the Ballet Russe it covered? I found the writing at the site - on a dark blue background difficute to read (I have a fluish headache today) - so forgive me if it is there and I missed it. <P>I wonder if anything is being done to preserve these drops?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Finding treasures: Ballet Russe Scenery
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 2:11 pm 

Stephan Lawrence, who is the author of the web page, a professor of dance, and head of the dance dept., and others involved in the performing arts at Butler were responsible for preserving and cataloguing the sets.<P>Unfortunately, as they were acquired, they were stored in whatever facility seemed to have room for them, such as basements. Some of the sets suffered irreparably. They are now stored in a climate controlled building.<P>Stephan Lawrence has an impressive background himself, and his own page can be accessed through the above site. There are also some other interesting links.

Profile E-mail