public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your dance favourites in 2000
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2000 4:06 am 

I was thinking that some of our good readers might like an alternative to the food, drink, in-laws and 'Nutcracker' videos of Christmas. <P>This is the time of year when dance critics around the world tell us about their favourites from the year. Why not share with us your top 5 or 10 dance events of the year.<P>It might be a professional or community dance event that hit the spot; a video that you haven't seen before or had forgotten how good it was; a dance book that shed new light on your passion; a class with a new teacher; or anything else dance related that was magic.<P>Take it away!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Your dance favourites in 2000
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2000 12:22 pm 

The magic dance event for me this year was much more personal than a performance or a book........<P>After three years recovering from an injury (non-dance related) and dreaming every night of dancing in my sleep, I suddenly found the mental strength to return to ballet class.<P>But the real miracle was finding the perfect teacher and place to go. Since I was so well known in the dance community here, I didn't want to return to old haunts and dance in comparison with my old self. I found a wonderful, knowledgeable teacher and a quiet studio practically down the street from my house. Sometimes we are favored with small, but important blessings.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 7:07 am 

I'll take the bait. I looked through my datebook and have compiled this list of favorites from the year 2000:<P>The event that will have the most lingering impact on me was attending the "Dancing in the Millennium" Conference in Washington, DC, where I got to hobnob with hundreds of other dance academics and professionals and hear dozens of papers presented on a wide variety of topics. <P>The performances that have meant the most to me have been found in the many off-off-off spaces and showcases where I have seen so many vital, outrageous, courageous, threatening, surprising things this year, like The Flea, Galapagos, Deli Dances in Times Square, DanceNow Downtown, Bo’s Place, Out of Space at Studio 52, Broome Corner Choreographic Platform, Hatch, and Movement Research at Judson Church.<P>Here’s a list of favorite, individual NYC concerts:<BR>Keely Garfield, "My Sister Was a Refugee," Playhouse 91<BR>Tere O’Connor, "Hello, Everybody!" Dance Theatre Workshop<BR>Wil Swanson/Danceworks, Joyce Soho<BR>Red Dive, "one less sense," Clemente Soto Velez Cultural Center<BR>Ariane Anthony, The Construction Company <BR>Beppie Blenkert, "Dubblespoor," Dance Theatre Workshop<BR>Troika Ranch, "The Chemical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreuz," Here<BR>Martita Goshen, "Threshold," Kaye Playhouse<BR>Sean Curran, Summerstage <BR>Goat Island, "The Sea and Poison," The Kitchen<BR>Lar Lubovitch, "Men’s Stories," Orensanz Center<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 9:04 am 

My list of top personal dance events in 2000:<P>- The Mark Morris Dance Group in 'L'Allegro etc' and 'Dido and Aeneas' - some of the best ensemble choreography of the 20th C.<P>- Tamara Rojo in ENB's 'Sacre de Printemps' and the RB's 'Ondine' - a great talent who will grace the RB for many years to come. She also showed her humanity as she nearly broke into giggles during 'Symphonic Variations' and danced even better with a smile on her face from then on.<P>- Edward Watson, a young RB dancer achieving a great expressive performance in the lead in MacMillan's 'Gloria'.<P>- Paris Opera Ballet's 'La Bayadere' at the Lowry, Salford - a fab company in a fab new venue.<P>- Ballet Preljocaj's 'Romeo and Juliet' - a fine innovative piece of modern dance drama with superb dancers.<P>- Wayne Mcgregor's 'Symbiote' for RB dancers in the Clore Studio - the most exciting new work that the RB has performed in ages + his 'Trilogy ' at Greenwich Dance Agency, a multi media reworking of sections of three earlier pieces, whcih showed one of the ways that the art form may take.<P>- Les Ballets Jazz de Montreal - an unexpected treat of good, distinctive work and fine well-rehearsed dancers.<P>- Mara Galeazzi, one of my favourites of the young dancers making a very good debut in 'The Firebird', despite losing the feather, her partner had to mutter '..it's on the floor..' and being promoted to First Soloist soon after.<P>- The course in Dance History that I'm studying at the Laban Centre - the high spot of my week.<P>- The enormous progress of criticaldance.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 9:27 am 

I will never forget Raymonda, with the POB... the most beautiful ballet I've ever seen.<P>--- : i'm really tired of people always talking about the nutcracker, every christmas, I hate this ballet, it's not interesting... I just love the pas de 2 of the end, that's all. The version of Patrice Bart is my favourite, I find it better than the one of Noureev, but that's a personal advice Image<BR>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 12:24 pm 

I have to say that this year I was really inspired by two artists (or companies I should say) that were new to me. Most recently I saw "Ordinary Festivals" a dance theatre extravaganza performed by Sara Pearson, Patrik Widrig & Co. Any show that advertises itself as "a dance theatre piece for 300 oranges, 16 performers, and two knives..." is enough to inspire my attendance on opening night. I was not dissapointed. Widrig hails from Switzerland and Pearson is from NY.<BR> Earlier this year I really enjoyed Gesel Mason/Cheles Rhymes & Co in Washington D.C. Mason is fairly new on the scene (in terms of performing her own works) and definately needs deveolping, but her piece "No Less Black" was really inspiring and included some excellent moments as well as an insightful text. The performance was based on her experience growing up black in a mostly Causcasian environment and being unaccepted in numerous African American circles as she grew older because they thought she "couldn't possibly know what it means to be black". <BR> Sorry to drone on so long! but like I said I was inspired! Have any of you seen these performers? They are not firmly established yet, although well on their way. They are all completing tours now so if they happen to be in town I highly recommend you go! Image<P>------------------<BR><BR>"If it's self expression you are looking for the place for you is the analyst's couch" - Merce Cunningham

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 5:47 pm 

My favorite year 2000 entire dance concert was "The Pale Concert" put on by my favorite dance company in the world - the UAA Dance Ensemble. All the choreographers, dancers, designers, and crew did a great job creating and performing a show I was pleased to have had something to do with.<P>As far as personal performances go - it'd be one of our two nights performing "Isolate 3" at Out North Contemporary Art House. It was just one of those nights where my insides, body, and beyond felt connected and connected to the audience as well. Totally one of those reasons for bothering with this whole dance stuff.<P>And watching the White Oak Project perform Lucinda Child's "Concerto" was rather exciting for me. I think I've referred to it as "jaw-dropping". <P>There were certainly other special dance moments during the year. I got to see more dance than usual - both in Anchorage and out of town, which has been great. I hope to keep it up in 2001!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:57 am 

Misa:<P>Thanks for this quote, I hadn't heard it before: <P>"If it's self expression you are looking for the place for you is the analyst's couch" - Merce Cunningham<P>Do you have a reference/source for it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2000 5:54 pm 

CD tooth- I wish I could tell you.. I know its from a Merce Cunningham book but I own so many and have loved this quote for so long that I cannot for the life of me remember. It's also been used in my dance history class. I'm sorry, if I come across it in the future I'll let you know.<BR>Marisa<P>------------------<BR><BR>"If it's self expression you are looking for the place for you is the analyst's couch" - Merce Cunningham

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2001 1:34 pm 

Are we really to take it that no other readers had good dance experiences in 2000?<P>Surely not! Please share your high-spots with us.

Profile E-mail