public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's available in Frankfurt, Germany?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 9:21 am 

I brought a group of non-dance fans to the LINES performance last weekend. Everyone liked it, but they split on whether they preferred classical or contemporary ballet. One of them had never attended a dance performance before, but he was hooked. He wants to know what ballet and modern dance is available in his home town of Frankfurt, Germany. Anyone familiar with that area?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What's available in Frankfurt, Germany?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 9:43 am 

Yes. Ballet Frankfurt which is under the direction of William Forsythe, probably the most innovative choreographer working in the balletic genre (my opinion, sorry folks)<P>Please check out the following site for further information: <A HREF="http://www.frankfurt-ballett.de/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.frankfurt-ballett.de/</A> <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 9:50 am 

Your friend is in for a treat, Michael - as long as he likes modern ballet. Frankfurt is, understandably, the home of Ballett Frankfurt. Under William Forsythe, this company has performance standards to rival any group of dancers and arguably the most exciting rep of any. When they came to London for 4 nights last year it was a seriously hot ticket. A number of choreographers are now using Forsythe's improvisation methodology to create their own work. <P>Apart from this, there are some performance venues in the centre of the City which are regularly visited by the best of modern dance companies around Europe. There are probably also some local moern dance companies. A Frankfurt listings sheet will have full details.<P>For trad. ballet I suspect it's totally reliant on visiting Ballet Stars of Moscow/ St. Petersburgh/Vienna/Chipping Camden<P>For the avoidance of doubt, Ballett Frankfurt do not perform 'The Nutcracker' at Christmas. <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 5:25 pm 

Hi there - <BR>I was really interested in this comment by Stuart - "A number of choreographers are now using Forsythe's improvisation methodology to create their own work." - and have started a thread on improvisation in Studio<P>here: <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000202.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000202.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2000 9:10 am 

Thanks, everyone, for filling me in on Frankfurt. I will rely that information to our aspiring ballet fan. <P>Another CriticalDance success story.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2000 10:19 am 

But, oh, Michael, nothing compares to being named Site of the Week. Congratulations to BayDance.com!!! And Happy 2nd Birthday!

Profile E-mail