public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bay Area Ballerina Luncheon (Walnut Creek, CA)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2000 7:46 pm 
Image <BR>Corinne Jonas<BR>courtesy Diablo Ballet<P><BR>Danville Ballet Company (<A HREF="http://www.danvilleballet.org" TARGET=_blank>www.danvilleballet.org</A>) cordially invites you to attend the Bay Area Ballerina Luncheon<P>Hear the real-life stories of growing up and succeeding in the world of professional ballet<P>Who: Lauren Jonas, Corinne Jonas, Erika Johnson (of DIABLO BALLET) and Rachel Chew (of San Francisco Ballet)<P>When: October 7, 2000 1:30-3:30 P.M.<P>Where: Scott’s Seafood Grill, 1333 N. California Blvd., Walnut Creek<P>This event features a panel discussion followed by a question and answer period and a silent auction of ballet memorabilia. The panel, moderated by Rebecca Crowell, includes Lauren Jonas, Corinne Jonas, Erika Johnson, and Rachael Chew.<P>Butlered hors d’oeuvre, a buffet station, and cash bar will be served.<BR>Seating is limited, so get your tickets early. This event is appropriate for ages 8 and over.<P>For Ticket information please call (925) 831-9256<p>[Note: This message has been edited by Azlan]

Post subject: Re: Bay Area Ballerina Luncheon (Walnut Creek, CA)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2000 12:17 pm 

Rebecca Crowell, artistic director of Danville Ballet, celebrated the inaugural Bay Area Ballerina Luncheon in style and panache. Held in the picturesque terrace of Scott’s Seafood and Grill in Walnut Creek, this fundraising event for the pre-professional ballet company was a public relations success. In attendance were representatives from VoiceofDance.com and criticaldance.com.<P>Crowell, striking in her elegant summer outfit, greeted all the attendees personally during the luncheon and then moderated the panel of four dancers with such poise that one would think she was a professional TV show host. The panel, consisting of sisters Lauren and Corinne Jonas, Erika Johnson and Rachael Greenwood Chew, all ballet dancers in their prime, answered various questions ranging from what inspired them to become dancers to what brand of pointe shoes they wear.<P>Two questions stood out – both involved lessons important to aspiring ballerinas. In the first, the panelists were asked how they coped with school and a social life – or lack thereof – while they were growing up. All responded that they had to give up much of their social life, including the prom, to focus on school and ballet training. It was a matter of discipline.<P>In the other question, asked by criticaldance.com, the panelists were asked how they cope with bad reviews and what lessons they can impart on aspiring ballerinas to prepare them for the inevitable criticism. Each panelist had a slightly different answer. Lauren Jonas responded by saying that she has developed the ability to accept negative comments. Corinne Jonas and Johnson confessed that they like receiving corrections. Greenwood Chew advised the young dancers in the audience that a dancer is always the best critic of her own work.<P>This inaugural Bay Area Ballerina luncheon not only brought the ballet community together but also gave young dancers some very important lessons. It deserves to be held every year and it seems likely that it will be as rumors have it that several ballet companies in the area are interested in being invited to next year’s event.<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited October 26, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2000 6:14 pm 

Very interesting. For your information, Rachel Greenwood Chew, formerly Greenwood, now dances for Michael Smuin's company.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2000 5:58 am 

It's wonderful to see an event like this enjoy such success. I would hope that it would inspire other dance communities to do something along these lines. It gives ballet/dance another venue besides the stage. One with an interactive voice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2000 8:45 am 

Rachel Greenwood Chew is not listed as a current company member of Smuin on the website.<P>DH

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2000 10:15 am 

Hmm... Rachel mentioned she took time off to have her baby and I believe she also said something about Smuin but I have not seen her name associated with the company in anyway either.<P>I will see if I can verify. Or, DavidH, you might be able to do it faster than I can.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2000 6:35 pm 

wlanut creek sounds so very rustic - i suppose that's just me being fanciful?..........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 3:47 am 

wlanut creek sounds so very Polish.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 6:17 am 

sorry stuart! '<B>Walnut</B>' Creek..... Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 3:58 pm 

yes, that's right. Polish rustic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 10:44 pm 

I can't trust you folks to keep to the topic, can I?!!! Image<P>Just thought I'd add a word here that we received a gracious note from AD Rebecca Crowell for covering the event.<P>And, yes, Maggie, I would hope this will be an example and inspiration to other communities.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2000 11:24 am 

A response from Smuin Ballets/SF:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Rachel Greenwood Chew does indeed dance with Smuin Ballets/SF. The company's home season begins Wednesday, Nov. 1 - 19 at the Cowell Theatre with three works choreographed by Michael Smuin: "Medea," "Sapphire Rain" (World Premiere), and "Carmina Burana."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Profile E-mail