public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rolfing
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2000 5:27 am 

i picked up a book on this once at a used-book sale, because it looked interesting, but i've never known anyone who does it, or who tried it, or..well, you get the picture..<P>here is a relevant website, the rolf institute of structural integration:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.rolf.org/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.rolf.org/</A> <P>anyone have any personal experience of this?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Rolfing
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2000 12:45 pm 

My husband was "rolfed"several years ago---it is a painful, deep tissue re-integration, re-shaping of musculature...you have to sign up for a minimum of 10 sessisons, I believe. Ida Rolf's books/writings are very interesting and insightful....rolfers are trained in psychological, as well as physical aspects of the body....dancers swear by it...saying it helps them make some major and deep changes in their bodies...including long standing problems with postural issues that they havent been able to change in any more traditional means....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2000 3:06 pm 

hmm, painful..yes, i remember reading that...the REST sounds good! thanks trina...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2000 4:50 pm 

Trina, your description is good and succinct.<BR>I have had the pleasure of being rolfed several times (the ten sessions) <BR>It is wonderfully freeing. Not all of it is painful, and what is, is certainly bearable with the knowledge that it's for the good. <P>Rolfing works on the simple preface of realigning/moving the fascia that surrounds the muscles. The context and ramifications are much more as Trina mentions above relative to an emotional context. Movement becomes easier, more "right" feeling. It is definately a journey.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2000 12:21 pm 

Apparently, people report, as they're being rolfed, re-living certain painful physical experiences that they may have forgotten. For example, falling out of a tree when they were a child, and hurting a muscle in one's leg. I guess "muscle memory" is no myth!! Hence the need for the psychogical training by the rolfing practicioner, ie to help the client/patient process both the physical and psychological aspects of the process.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2000 3:53 pm 

I agree that Rolfing is a "good" pain. It is definitely worth the time to do it at least once--I think as dancers it is really important to be open to all types of body work and try it all at least once. *S* I have body-work done on a regular basis and have experienced Rolfing, moxa, accupuncture and massage work as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2000 12:43 pm 

Wow I am happy to read this thread. Actually, I posted the same thread on an other forum a couple of week ago and had only one negative answer 'bout it. I started the 10 sessions and was wondering if I should continue. It is painful, worth it I know. But everytime I go to a session (I do a session every 2 weeks) I come back with a pain which last for the 2 weeks. Laste time it was my lower back (He fixed it but I had to live with it for 2 weeks) And now it is my TWO knees! It is absolutely horrible when I dance!! I look like an old lady.<P>Your messages are very positive and it gives me the energy to continue. I hope these sessions will help me in the future.

Profile E-mail