public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mother Finances Daughter's Dance Classes Illegally
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2001 7:06 pm 

Ouch:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>90 days for welfare fraud to finance daughter's dance course</B><P>Edmonton Journal<P>A single mother who defrauded welfare so her daughter could study dance in Europe was sentenced to 90 jails in jail. <P>Ontario Superior Court Justice Gloria Epstein berated Morel D'Amour, 54, for telling the court she would commit the fraud again to ensure her child wasn't disadvantaged by poverty.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news1/stories/010218/5080810.html" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Mother Finances Daughter's Dance Classes Illegally
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 7:53 pm 

Often the cost of dance classes really makes me wonder just who's missing out on the opportunity to study dance seriously.<P>I recall a talented friend of mine once having to quit because the financial burden was too great on her parents. Her teacher did try to help her out, but eventually her parents pulled her out of classes, partially because there was a little talk of her being like a 'charity' case and not being treated (read: charged) equally, but mostly because of their budget.<P>I can certainly see why a mother, wanting to do the best for her child would go to extreme -yes even illegal- lengths to see that the dream is realised. Dance is not something that can be pursued without the appropriate funding - classes, leotards, tights, shoes -- it all adds up. The image of little rich girls being put in classes because its the 'done' thing isn't all that far off... Someone struggling isn't going to be able to afford that luxury.<P>Seems to me like ballet's elitism has struck again, but this time to the detriment of the art.... <P>I'm cutting this short, because I'm actually supposed to be debugging my program... but ballet talk is always so much more appealing...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 5:01 am 

I don't buy it Kathyryn.<P>I've been a single mother for more than twice as many years as I was married. I've struggled as much or more than anybody (their dad doesn't contribute). And I'm probably "obligated" for more than I should be on behalf of my kids.<P>And my daughter has danced from age 4 to 18 (current age). She's done everything she's supposed to do. The summer intensives. Daily dance at her own studio, etc.<P>She's ALSO resourceful. Her passion and committment to what she loves has gotten her help from many MANY different quarters in the dance world. She's not above finding time to make a few bucks herself. She's done plenty of "work study" in ballet. Odd hours (late ones) waitressing. Kept up her grades at school and danced 2pm to 9pm 5 days a week and 8-12 on Sat's too.<P>My oldest didn't let the fact that everybody told her that "law school was for rich kids" keep HER from going either. She's a B+ student, but might have made BETTER grades if she didn't have to work 35 hours a week while going to school full time to do it (yeah, you can DO that. "Early Evening hour classes" can count as day classes and full time status.)<P>If anything that article makes ME angry. That woman deserves everything she has coming to her.

'God grant you all your desires and accept my own hearty thanks for all your attention to me. Although indeed, those attentions have tried me more than death can now terrify me.'<P>Lady Jane Grey<BR>Wife of Guildford, Lord Dudley King Consort<BR>Daughter of Henry Grey Marquis of Dorset, Duke of Suffolk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 6:24 am 

In this city there are a couple of different avenues for children of parents who can't afford the full rates of dance classes.<P>Many of the studios here do have scholarships for those truly in need. The "Y" has classes as well as the city's department of recreation - and that is taught by a very worthy teacher. I know her. <P>Some of the girls clubs have dance classes and there is a performing arts middle school and high school within the school district. <P>So there are some ways to do this besides breaking the law. I can condone law breaking when it comes to real basic necessities like food for a hungry family, or shelter from weather - but I don't think dancing falls into that category.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 1:28 pm 

Call me heartless and nasty, but I was always taught (even though I came from a very wealthy family) that nothing is handed to you - you must work. I got my first 20 per week job when I was 11, and have worked steadily ever since. Trust me, it's hard! Did I have to? No, my family could have just handed me the cash - but the experience is priceless. Now I am on my own, with no help, and the transition was painless!<P>In my opinion, doing fraudlent things to get money is bad, no matter what the cause behind it. I believe we can all get by without having to steal, even if it's from the government!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 1:32 pm 

Bree - I don't think that is nasty or heartless at all - it is a valid viewpoint.<P>The government - is us.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 1:56 pm 

I think we had better be a little careful about casting stones. I understand it's not unknown for upstanding folks (including ex-Vice Presidents) to understate their tax liabilities in the US and elsewhere. The little people are easier to catch.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 3:18 pm 

It makes me mad that "she" did it, and it makes me mad if "he" did it.<P>I don't think ANYBODY should do it.<P>I actually PAY to have my taxes prepared just so I KNOW that I am "staying honest".<P>I don't claim the old clothes that I give to Salvation Army as "donations" on my taxes, because I KNOW that the things we (my family wears something to death) pass on just end up in the bucket that painters buy from them to use for rags. I don't claim the bag was worth 20.00.<P>I don't think it's "cute" when somebody "pulls something over on somebody else". And I certainly don't think it's cute when they vow that they would "do it again" given the chance.<P>People that do that on their taxes are the same people that will put furniture in front of a water stain on a floor or wall when they try to sell you a house. Or sell you auto repairs you don't need.<P>Or "doctor" their kids ballet audition photos ( I hear people are doing AMAZING things with those these days Image<P>Gosh, I even blurt out my AGE for them, when I see folks trying to figure out how old I am on my resume'. Life is too short to go around looking over your shoulder all the time hoping that somebody won't "catch you" for something you did.<P>URRGggggggghhhhhh. It still makes me mad to think about that article. I'm not gonna read it again.<P>And Basheva I'm with YOU on the food and shelter issue. Those are two things that yes, I believe everyone is entitled to. <P>When my oldest was in Kindercare in Fl., they were robbed twice. Only food was taken. <P>It was a family that had taken up shelter in an old abandoned house.<P>They did not prosecute. In fact they contributed to taking care of some that from then on out.<P>But I DO fault those folks for not ASKING for it. Just TAKING it. Sometimes all it takes is ASKING for something. When "pride" gets in the way, that is a personal problem.<p>[This message has been edited by JaneGrey (edited March 07, 2001).]

'God grant you all your desires and accept my own hearty thanks for all your attention to me. Although indeed, those attentions have tried me more than death can now terrify me.'<P>Lady Jane Grey<BR>Wife of Guildford, Lord Dudley King Consort<BR>Daughter of Henry Grey Marquis of Dorset, Duke of Suffolk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 6:14 pm 
Weellllllll.....<BR>I've HAVE heard of worst things that have been done-or almost done to try to advance a child/loved ones ambition.<BR>Remember the murdering cheerleaders mom in Texas(attempted anyway)???<BR>And lets not forget the Harding/Kerrigan scandal....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:40 am 

GAY ABBATE - Globe and Mail, August 14, 2002:
Quote:
Welfare fraud earns woman jail time

The Court of Appeal upheld a lower court ruling that Morel D'Amour, 56, of Toronto must serve 90 days in jail and repay the money she collected from social assistance.
To read more search GAY ABBATE on the Globe and Mail 7 Day Search

Profile E-mail