public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Michael Parkes & Kimberly Glasco
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2000 5:09 pm 

For me the art of Michael Parkes symbolizes what the art of ballet is: beauty, mystery, love, magic, and fantasy. Celestial bodies dancing a dream to life. An escape from this world to a world where only the imagination exists. A world filled with breathtaking images for the cinemas of our souls. Perhaps it is a sneak preview of what is to come. To treat your eyes to the art of Michael Parkes visit <A HREF="http://www.michaelparkes.com/parkes/posters.html" TARGET=_blank>www.michaelparkes/posters.html</A> <P>Warning: Below is some more gooey prose about Kimberly Glasco and Michael Parkes...<P>So, why am I so gaga over Kimberly Glasco? Well, she turned me on to ballet! Once upon a time, I used to think ballerinas could only write with their tiptoes. That was the me of many moons ago before I met a heavenly body by the name of Kimberly Glasco. One of the many perks to membership at the National Ballet of Canada is a chance to mingle with the dancers. I came fully prepared with a print by Michael Parkes most appropriately named: Tuesday’s Child. From expressive fingers full of grace her subtle wit did flow: “Kimberly Glasco doesn’t believe in Sir Isaac Newton’s theory of gravity!” Both Parkes and God must have set their imaginations a blaze burning jars of midnight oil to create the apple of my eye.<P>In spite of the billows of darkness making their inexorable descent, the ballerina in the painting and the ballerina in real life look down in amusement upon the gravity-stricken creatures below them. Though their stage of rope burns, they continue to do the impossible: defy gravity perfectly on pointe. Such is the life of a ballerina. Like it or not, one day the clouds will bring down the curtain on her fame. No matter how hard she tries, Tuesday’s Child can only defy gravity for so many moons. <P>Me? I could only defy gravity for but a mere nano-moon. My jaw descended all the way to the floor! The telltale signs of a ballerina-struck balletomane were all there: goo-goo eyes, throbbing ears, drumming heart, even a little drool. Kimberly Glasco had me all figured out autographing a Don Quixote poster as Dulcinea: “Michael and Kimberly, Souls Intertwining, Valentines Beyond this Lifetime, Autographs Divine!” Kimberly Glasco is poetry in motion; on and off the stage.<P>There was nothing physically connecting Kimberly Glasco and me. And yet, like earth gazing at its full moon in a dance without end, I could not break free from this celestial delight. I didn’t know it those many moons ago but I was just another casualty of ballerina magnetism. Something of which Glasco has in ample supply. Of course, I was a most willing victim. How could I possibly resist? From row double D in the front orchestra all the way to the starry heights of row double Z in the rear balcony—Kimberly Glasco shoots rays and rays and rays of stage charisma! This ballerina knows how to shine. Kimberly Glasco has the glowing face and beaming body of which National Ballet of Canada dreams are made on. No dancer—past, present, or future—could out flirt Glasco in Kenneth MacMillan’s Elite Syncopations! Woooooo!<P>Tuesday, December 1st, 1998 is a date I’ll not soon forget—the day The Grim Director torched Kim Glasco’s stage. Never again would I be able to cast starry orbs upon this celestial delight. Though Tuesday’s Child continues to defy gravity full of grace, dance-maker James Kudelka turned pyromaniac setting her rope a blaze. Sure a few clouds beckon on the horizon but certainly not enough to justify closing the curtain on her dazzling 18 year career at the National Ballet of Canada. I would much rather escape inside the dream Kim Glasco creates on stage than subject myself to another of Kudelka’s choreographic nightmares. For every moving Four Seasons that touched my soul he would paralyze me into the despair of a Miraculous Mandarin. Kimberly Glasco is what ballet is all about: beauty, mystery, love, magic, and fantasy. <P><BR>------------------<BR>Michael Goldbarth<p>[This message has been edited by Michael Goldbarth (edited June 05, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Michael Parkes & Kimberly Glasco
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2000 6:29 pm 

btw folks, michael is auditioning here for more work in his chosen field of copywriting - i can't understand why they're not beating down his door!<P>help the man out, someone! -so he can quit his 'day job' and indulge his true purpose in life...<P>and no, michael, i DON'T mean licking off chocolate till you get to the strawberry...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2000 10:14 pm 

Sorry to disappointment you grace, but it's lemon sorbet under the chocolate.....and I can vouch for that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2000 12:03 am 

i...'m...NOT...*QUITE* sure....how to respond to that one, stuart.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2000 12:17 am 

well, michael, THAT is one SSSLLLOOOOWWWWW loading page - but now i know why....so many images. here's one:<P> Image [img]http://www.michaelparkes.com/parkes/images/P122N.gif[/img}<BR>%20[img]http://www.michaelparkes.com/parkes/images/P232N.gif[/img] <P>very 'magritte' - with touches of beardsley and even ...can't think of the name...i WILL say that the sky-based images just make ME feel insecure - like i'm falling - so there's no pleasure in looking at them, for me...and i don't much care for his cherubic bronzes. i see he likes cats, tho', so i guess he's OK...<BR> Image

Profile E-mail